ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, February 22, 2008

Weekend Box Office #72

I'm still sick. I guess it's the flu. I'm been coughing all week, stuffy, achy, etc. I gave it to the wife, too. Not happy days around our place.

I think I'll spare the world and not go spreading my disease around a movie theater this weekend. For those of you who go, here are the new wide openers:

VANTAGE POINT (3149 theaters). This has been getting a lot of hype, but today's LA Times review is a bit underwhelmed. Call it $13.7 million for the weekend.

WITLESS PROTECTION (1333 theaters). Likely for George W. Bush fans only. $5.6 million.

CHARLIE BARTLETT (1122 theaters). This has gotten the best reviews of these movies, but it's unclear what the hook is. $3.2 million.

BE KIND, REWIND (808 theaters). I had high hopes for this, but the LA Times also doesn't have particularly encouraging things to say about it either, while this really isn't a very wide opening. $4.3 million.

Look for holdovers like JUMPER, SPIDERWICK and STEP UP 2 to perform much better than most of these.

I'm crawling back into bed.

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling good, Scott.

Really like the trailer for "Vantage Point," but up here in Washington it's been shown SO MANY times the edge is off for me. Besides, this one looks the kind of show I can enjoy with the "fam" as a DVD rental. I can wait with "Be Kind, Rewind" and "Charlie Barlett" too.

Looking forward to spending a lot of time at the keyboard working on the new romantic comedy I'd LIKE to have ready for this year's Nicholls.

Are you looking forward to the Oscars, Scott? What are your picks?

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home