ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Screenwriting Group Needs A Few More Good Writers --

The amazing screenwriting group I belong to is looking for some new writers, so I figured I'd throw it out here.

There's a commitment involved. The group meets from 7-10 every Monday night in Studio City, and though you can miss a night every now and then, you should be showing up at least 80% of the time.

The people who run the group are looking for solid writers with a "creative spark". You will need to submit a script as a writing sample to be considered for membership.

Dues are $30 a month, to pay for the theater we meet in. The writer retains all rights to anything that is workshopped through the group.

The group is structured like this: every Monday night, 4 writers bring in up to 25 pages each. They cast the actors who show up there to read roles. And then you get to sit in the audience, and listen to your dialogue coming from the mouths of some pretty good actors.

And then you sit on the stage, and you quietly listen and jot down notes as the other writers constructively criticize what they have just heard. And they're good at it, so you have to be at the point where you can appreciate the feedback and not mind seeing your work get torn apart if it needs it.

You will be bringing in work roughly once a month. The last Monday of each month, one of the writers gets to bring in a full script to be read by the actors (one of mine is up in 13 days).

It's a good group, full of good people serious about what they do (which isn't to say that we don't have fun as well).

If anyone is seriously interested, e-mail me for more details.

6 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Wow! What an offer. If I were in So. Cal I'd jump at it. Don't think you'll have ANY problem getting new writers who are looking to improve their craft and showing off their work.

$30 a month is NOTHING compared to what you have to gain from this experience.

How come we don't have cool stuff like what you've got up here in Washington?

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Tom said...

aaauuuuugh.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

EC - You can start a group yourself, I'm sure you can get some peeps to join up.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Patrick, YES I COULD start a group, but what you don't know, my friend, is that where I live IS NOT Los Angeles or New York. There is much less concentration of creatives up here. Trust me, I know. I've went to some of the local events and cool people like you, Scott, Emily and rest don't exist in high concentrations up here.

I've tried the Pacific Northwest Writers Association (which is geared more for retirees writting their personal memoirs) and the Northwest Screenwriting Guild. Have yet to meet-up with a peer group of equals, or near equals that has the potential to be something special like Scott has with his group. Hence the jealousy, on my part.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger DDog said...

EC,

Have you tried going to local film festivals (if they come your way)?

I live in Jacksonville, FL -- which isn't exactly a Mecca of creativity -- and met members of my current screenwriting group through a local film fest at a screenwriting workshop.

Get out there an network, my friend.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger LHOOQtius ov Borg said...

Yet another reason to be down in LA. I've got a great writing group up here in the Bay Area -- but it's always nice to meet new people who are serious and talented, and I'm not sure how many more of those are left up here that I don't already know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home