ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Back On The Writing Horse

Though I did some writing this month -- I did a polish of my low-budget thriller, though I just got some notes back from someone I know, so it still needs a little tweakage -- this week I finally decided to buckle down again.

I spent several hours each of the past several days wrestling with the rewrite of my fantasy/comedy, trying to get the first act to work, mostly involving figuring out how to set-up the main character. It's getting there.

I'm going to try to keep the writing going. 2 straight days so far with an least an hour. I think last year I topped off at 70; let's see if I can do better. I have a lot of writing I want to do.

And yes Dave, if you are reading this, someday this year we'll dive back into that thing.

******

I was sitting in a coffee shop yesterday typing on my laptop when a cute young woman came up to me, and told me I wasn't supposed to be writing because there was a strike. She was kidding, but I told her I wasn't a pro. She introduced herself anyway, but since I'm married, I immediately forgot her name, and she wandered out with her friends.

Nothing like that ever happened when I was single.

******

In the weird-rating detail of the week, the upcoming "Strange Wilderness" is rated R partly because of "non-stop language".

Wow. How much profanity do you need to have to get them to throw "non-stop" into the rating description?

******

On February 23, some AMC Theaters are offering a special deal in which you can pay $30 and see all five Best Picture nominees, in a row, on the same day.

Given how bleak most of the nominees are, it's hard to imagine that many people will make it the whole way, though you do get a pass that allows you to skip a movie or two and come back in. You get a free refillable large popcorn too.

It starts at 11 AM, and the film order is Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood, Atonement, Juno and No Country For Old Men, finishing a little over 12 hours later.

There Will be Film Geeks. Not sure if I'll be one of them, but marathon days like this are fun. I once sat through Star Treks 1-5 in a row in a theater.

4 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger LHOOQtius ov Borg said...

"Non-stop language" gets an R rating? What a great phrase. I guess I'd better write a lot of long, meaningful pauses and MOS scenes into my scripts. Wouldn't want to get an R rating simply for having too much banter.


I, too, am considering whether or not to go to the 12 hours of nominees at AMC. I've seen them all, but could stand to see them again (just not sure if I can stand to do it all at once).

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Glad to hear you're going to try to do the 1 hour a day writing thing. Currently I'm alternating my writing time as I work on developing 2 new spec scripts. My goal is to have one of the two ready for the Nicholls, and of cource, hopefully, give you a little buisness off that too.

Does one hour a day count if the TV's on in the background, and it's dulling out the daily Brittany Spears update? Scott, is there anything you can do to staighten that girl out?

If you meet a cute girl, Scott, remember that golden ring on your finger -- but feel free to put in a good word for me!

Would LOVE to watch all the Oscar nominated movies with you boyz in So. Cal, but the 3,000 mile drive south is a bit much.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Brittney shaved her head a couple of miles from us when we lived in Woodland Hills. I guess if I'd been more on the ball, I could have done something to stop her. Or at least grabbed a handful of hair for eBay.

I feel bad for her though -- she obviously needs help, and a life where she isn't followed by dozens of camera-wielding sweaty guys every time she leaves the house.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

No way I'd do that marathon. And to end with No Country? Man, that's a rough day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home