ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Saw a Couple of Very Good Movies Today --

The first was Charlie Wilson's War, which works well, a nice blend of humor, based-on-fact drama, solid dialogue (via Aaron Sorkin), and lots of very good acting. And yeah, Philip Seymour Hoffman steals every scene he is in.

The other was The Great Debaters, which I thought was going to be an okay rousing drama, but which turns out to be much more than that.

Combined, the movies have 5 Best Actor/Best Actress winners between them. And all 5 are very solid.

No deep analysis; it's my day off. Just two movies worth checking out.

4 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Saw Charlie Wilson - Good movie, but once the ball gets rolling, there isn't a whole lotta plot.

They get funding for the rebels, and that's it.

Everyone was good and all in it, loved Hoffman, but if I never saw it again I'd be fine.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Team Brindle said...

I noticed The Great Debaters was nominated for a GG award. Didin't win.

But I was thinking, HMMMM... that movie is in awfully good company...

I don't like sappy, "inspirational" movies-- they're almost always overtly manipuliative & phony--and that's what I thought this movie was. I'll have to read more about it.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger aggiebrett said...

read a cool article online wherein a descendant of one of the ACTUAL Wiley College debaters took grave issue with the liberties the movie THE GREAT DEBATERS took with the story. After reading their take, I was wondering too why Hollywood felt such a need to change the facts of the story rather than telling it as is.
.
.
.
B

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you finally see There Will Be Blood? I went to see it alone last Friday, and it was so excellent that I couldn't get it out of my mind for the rest of the weekend. Finally got my boyfriend and his buddy to come see it with me on Sunday, so I could have other people to gush over it with.
Everything about it was great, but Daniel Day-Lewis is truly a magician in my opinon. Saw the interview with him for There Will Be Blood... I'm telling you, it's not the same man!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home