ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, December 21, 2007

Weekend Box Office #63

So it's going to be a very busy weekend at movie theaters this weekend, as everyone who has gotten their holiday shopping done (and some that haven't) escape the cold and/or the holiday stress and see a flick.

Along with holdovers I AM LEGEND and ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS, which should both easily break $25 million for the weekend, these films are opening wide:

NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS (3832 theaters). Early buzz is that it's better than the first (which I never saw, but which did pretty well at the box office), and it seems like the kind of breezy comic adventure that people are in the mood for. $49.7 million.

WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY (2650 theaters). An article in yesterday's LA Times said that this and the next two movies would be battling for fifth place this weekend, and that none might break $10 million. I think WALK HARD will beat them handily. $18.9 million.

CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR (2574 theaters). Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts are appealing actors, but I'm not sure Universal has figured out quite how to sell this yet. Still, it should do around $13.0 million.

P.S. I LOVE YOU (2454 theaters). It's a big weekend for punctuation in titles. Even though this movie looks like it might ultimately be uplifting, I'm not sure people will flock to see a film about a woman getting over a dead loved one during this holiday season. $6.9 million.

SWEENEY TODD (1249 theaters). I think that there is a big wanna-see factor with this, though the screen count is pretty low. Still, figure $14.2 million.

And then opening wide on Christmas Day are THE WATER HORSE (2772 theaters), ALIEN VS. PREDATOR - REQUIEM (2563 theaters) and THE GREAT DEBATERS (1164 theaters). And JUNO is expanding to 994 theaters.

Anyone that sees any of these, report in; there are a lot of choices to make, and a lot of movies that will be seen or missed.

If you see me limping around a theater, say hi. Though I may have to find an unpopular movie, so I have a place to put my crutches.

13 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Steve Peterson said...

That seems like an awful lot of big movies to be released over a five day period -- then add in last week's big releases and you have to wonder if the studios didn't over-schedule this Christmas weekend.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger aggiebrett said...

Just to piss off Rodio, I'm very much looking forward to not seeing I AM LEGEND.

8^p

I bet NT2 goes way over that 50-mil mark. My kids have been talking it up for months, and I know LOADS of families heading to the theater this opening weekend. Also, with school letting out for the holidays, every day will be like a Saturday for a while, with kids free to go to showings from 11AM til 11 PM.

Am I the only person in American totally tired of zombies?
.
.
.
B

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger suzbays said...

We're going to see NT2 today. Yup. I'm looking forward to the Great Debaters.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Chesher Cat said...

I've seen Sweeney Todd and Charlie Wilson's War. Between the two I'd recommend Sweeney Todd.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Brett - You bastard.

Here's my guesses:

Nat Treasure - 42
Walk Hard - 14
Chuck Wilson - 11
Sweeney - 8

Plus, I Am Legend will make another $10 when Brett sees it.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

I'm really interested in seing "Walk Hard." I can see why it got green lighted by its high concept: "Walk the Line" meets "Forest Gump." Judd Apatow is brilliant. And everytime I see John C. Reily I start giggling (he just looks so lovably goofy)

Need to laugh, need to see "Walk Hard."

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

No, Brett, you're not the only person tired of zombies. You're just the person who does the most bitching about it.

Love ya!

I saw both I Am Legend and Sweeny Tood. I liked them both very much but I give the edge to Sweeny. I want to watch it again.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Oooh, Walk Hard is looking like 4-5 million. Not that good at all.

Nat Treasure is looking like the 42 I predicted, but I was off on Charlie (I was too high) and under on Sweeney.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Walk Hard is tanking, yeah. I'm sort of shocked.

National Treasure will probably do closer to 50 mill. Don't forget everyone is off Monday, so Sunday will be a bigger movie night.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I think Walk Hard is tanking because John C. Reily is not a leading man, he's a sidekick, and this looks like a Will Ferell movie without Will Ferell. Also, the reviews are bad.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Actually, the reviews for Walk Hard have generally been okay -- it was over 70% on Rotten Tomaties.

But yeah, with Will Ferrell it would have made $25 million this weekend. Though it probably wouldn't have been a better movie.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Oops. I was thinking of reviews I heard from people I know, not the official reviews.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I saw I Am Legend. Kidding aside (re: Me & Brett) it was a surprisingly solid movie, VERY well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home