ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ouch

Strike news is so depressing that I prefer to talk about myself instead.

So the good news is that the wife and I found another apartment, and signed the lease yesterday. This one's in North Hollywood too. Nice little place, and they gave us two free weeks of rent.

Which is cool, because we have three weeks of overlap on both apartments for the move.

So the move will be easy-peasy. Except --

Last night, I went to drop some stuff off at the new place, since it is just up the road from where my Monday night group meets.

So I was late to the group, and had to park three blocks away.

Then, dumb me, I decided to jog, so I wouldn't be late. Down a dark, apparently cracked sidewalk.

Bad move. Because I did something to my ankle, and felt it when I did it.

It went this way, then that way.

I settled down into a limp, and initially it seemed okay, a bit tender, but crisis averted. Went to the group. Some discomfort, no pain.

At the coffee break, roughly 90 minutes after it happened, I walked down the street to a cafe with another writer. The ankle was a little swollen, but I could still walk on it without any real trouble.

When we returned to the theater, a few other people ran next door and got me some ice. So I iced it and elevated it for the next 90 minutes.

And then couldn't put any weight on it.

Got a ride to my car, and drove home (it was my left ankle, fortunately). Hopped to the apartment.

Spent the night in some pain, icing it with a big bag of expired frozen broccoli, and sitting on the couch because the bed was too uncomfortable. Didn't sleep much.

The worst thing is that though we handily have some rolling chairs to move around in, we live in a townhouse. The couch and the TV are downstairs, and all the toilets are upstairs.

The stairs feel really long when you have to hop/crawl up them.

So the swelling seems down a bit this morning, and I can wiggle my toes and everything. I'm torn about going to the hospital, because I have a feeling they'll just tell me to stay off it and give me some crutches, and though the latter would sort of be helpful, they'd still only minimally help in this apartment.

Unless I should go to the hospital if something might be wrong that isn't going to heal by my sitting around and letting it heal.

So if anyone has some knowledgable advice/horror stories, roll them out there. Meanwhile, since I'm upstairs now typing this, I'm going to crawl into bed.

And hope this gets better fast enough not to impede the whole packing/moving process.

14 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh poor Scott! According to orthopedics.about.com:

"Signs that should raise concern include:

-Inability to walk on the ankle
-Significant swelling
-Symptoms that do not improve quickly or persist beyond a few days
-Pain in the foot or above the ankle

Differentiating between a sprained ankle and an ankle fracture can be difficult, and sometimes an x-ray is needed. While moderate pain and swelling are common symptoms following a simple sprained ankle, symptoms such as inability to place weight on the leg, numbness of the toes, or pain that is difficult to manage should raise concern. If you think you may have done more than sustained a sprained ankle, you should seek medical attention."

I hope it gets better quick!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Hmmm. It definitely hurts to walk on the ankle now, though again I was walking on it okay 90 minutes after the incident.

The swelling seems to be down to a there-but-not-scary-level. And when I give the spot a gentle squeeze, there's not a lot of pain.

It's just stiff and sore and swollen. Hopefully that just means a sprain.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had an injury that sounds similar, came down wrong on my ankle and had the sort of symptoms you describe, although 48 hours later the swelling and bruising got worse so I did go to the doctor. X-ray showed a hairline fracture, so I wore a cast for six weeks. You may want to immobilize it with an Ace bandage so it won't get any worse, if it is fractured. Also, from what I remember from a youth filled with ankle sprains, the next day after icing it, you'll want to apply heat. That'll help either way. You're gonna need some help moving that piano, though.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger KeithD said...

If you need to amputate, but can't afford to go to the hospital... I know a guy.

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to a speedy recovery. Look at the upside, it's potential material.

As an aside, over at Slash Films they're hosting "The Black Book" a listing of the "hottest" unproduced screenplays of 2007. What's your take on some of these screenplays? Any box office winners?

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/12/09/the-hottest-unproduced-screenplays-of-2007/

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch indeed. Getchaself a cane.

My father is a physical therapist, and four years back, I did something similar. Probably a hairline fracture, but my father is the "walk it off" sort when it comes to family injuries.

Anyhoo, get yourself a cane and a painkiller you're okay with. If it gets really nasty black and blue, see somebody.

Best of luck with the move and movement.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Sorry to hear about your foot, Scott. Wish I was in L.A., I'd help ya move. Still, I'm glad you got an new apartment. But isn't that just life; you knock out one problem, and you just get another one.

Get well.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That could be a message of your inner self, who has joined forces with your (left) ankle.

Scott's inner self: "I don't wanna move, and I must find a way to prevent that!"

Scott's ankle: "Me too, I can't even think of moving, go figure. Well, I know a trick who at least will slow down the entire process..."

Keep on writing, anyway.

A little pain could make you focus more, and alter a little bit the chemistry in your brain. Find what's hiding among the convolutions now.

To a quick recovery and to tons of people helping moving. Things, and Scotts, as well. Yeah! Don't dare you lifting anything that requires you standing or worse, walking, for almost a month.

The real question is: Can you write from a 4-wheel-drive-bearer armchair?

Take care.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger suzbays said...

Scott,

I think b/c you're diabetic and the healing process takes longer, you should go to the doctor.

Get well soon.

Susan

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger MoviePen said...

If you have insurance, use it. That's why you have it!

If you do, then try giving your insurance company a call. A LOT of companies these days have "nurse lines" where you can talk to an RN about your symptoms and the RN can recommend treatment or next steps. You may have to go through Menu Hell, but you're sitting around anyway. :-)

Choice #1 would be to see your own GP. This isn't ER-type stuff.

Choice #2 would be to go to Urgent Care instead. If you don't have insurance, I recommend Urgent Care over the ER -- they should be cheaper.

'Grats on the new place!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

We just changed companies because my wife got a new job, so I have insurance but no doctor yet.

The swelling seems to be down a bit this morning, there isn't much pain (though it is stiff) and it isn't black and blue at all.

So hopefully I'll live. Though these stairs are killing me.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

My recommendation: Get a cane. They are awesome!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Grubber said...

Incident a few years ago when my daughter used my straightened leg in particular, the knee as point of take off for a jump when in the pool, I ended up in considerable pain, strapped, etc a cane was actually more helpful and comfortable than crutches.

Get your jaunty on with da cane. Pimp it up and cruise with it.
cheers
Dave

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Grubber said...

oops, had not read Emily's post, there you go.
cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home