ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Weekend Box Office #59

It's a five-day holiday weekend, which makes box office predictions difficult for the new releases. Still, I'll give it a shot --

ENCHANTED (3730 theaters). This is getting surprisingly good reviews -- surprising to me, anyway, because the commercials look so dippy. But it looks primed to hit big; it seems perfect for this weekend. $49.7 million for the five days.

HITMAN (2457 theaters). It's nice to see Timothy Olyphant getting a chance to star in things, and this should be the choice of a lot of guys home for the holidays. $27.6 million.

THE MIST (2423 theaters). The fact that Frank Darabont wrote and directed this makes it interesting, while the fact that (like his THE GREEN MILE and THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION) it is based on a Stephen King tale will help. This will definitely be the lesser of those three works, but look for it to do about $26.1 million.

AUGUST RUSH (2310 theaters). The commercials really don't make this look very good at all. $6.1 million.

THIS CHRISTMAS (1858 theaters). In contrast, the commercials for this make it look very solid. $18.6 million.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (expanding to 860 theaters). Hitman and The Mist might steal some of the mainstream audiences away from this, but it should perform fairly well. $9.3 million.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Travel safe.

7 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I am required to see Hitman. My conscience won't let me miss an action movie about morally ambiguous Timothy Olyphant.

It's got too many things I love in it.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've played all the games, so I'm a fan of the character himself, but I wonder if those that don't play will be put off by the generic sounding title. I dunno.

It'll probably do just fine.

But it's funny; for a game so about stealth and leaving no trace you were ever there, Olyphant's Codename 47 is fleeing an explosion, death squad, or helicopter attack every few seconds in the trailer. It's called stealth, 47!

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

"Enchanted" got a stellar review in the Seattle Times, and its commericals are dominating our airwaves in the Pacific Northwest. Still, it's my kind of movie...

Vaguely remember reading Steven King's "The Mist" when I was a teenager in high school, and it's really not a very interesting story. Just because a story has Steven King as its moniker doesn't mean its joing to be good. His best story of all time was "The Stand," "Pet Cemetary" was prety good too.

Will skip the movies this weekend, and will focus on line editing till my eyes hurt!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Enchanted actually looks ok, kinda funny for that type of movie (looks like they gently make fun of musicals), and it's getting great reviews. I hope Hitman does well because Timothy Olyphant rocks (hell, I'd do him, the dude is hot). The Mist also looks good, and I heard Darabont improved the ending. My guesses:

Enchanted - 41 million
Beowulf - 20 million
The Mist - 18 million
Hitman - 14 million
This X-Mas - 13 million
Old Men - 11 million
August Rush - 9 million

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Okay after reading the reviews of Hitman I think I'll go see Beowulf instead.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger annabel said...

My kids and I saw Enchanted today. We think it is great!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger mernitman said...

I'd guess at least that high (and a strong second weekend) on account of: Enchanted rocks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home