ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Doldrums

From my limited POV of the movie business, I can verify this: there don't seem to be many scripts circulating at all.

Because I work for a bunch of clients, mostly production companies and some small studios, and no one has anything for me to read.

It is the holiday time, when things are usually slow; every year, December is (by far) the slowest month for me.

But still, business is deader than dead out there.

It's not a big deal, yet, because I'm heading to New York with the wife tomorrow to visit my parents for the holidays.

And hopefully when I come back late Monday, it will be to some good strike news. We can dream.

Meanwhile, my $60 notes offer is still very open. Get those scripts done and take advantage of me while you can.

Otherwise, I took a revamped first act of my new script (the one I'm co-writing) into my group one night, and they still tore it apart, though I think it helped me learn some things about it. Mostly that we still haven't quite figured out the tone yet.

Tentpole film in 2010, though.

*******

For once, my weekend estimates were pretty close. BEOWULF made $27.5 million. MR. MAGORIUM made $9.6 million.

LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA flopped, though, with only $1.9 million from over 800 screens. You'd think they'd know that basing a movie on a beloved book is only going to work if the movie is actually good.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN made a very solid $3 million from only 148 screens, an average of over $20,000 per screen. MARGOT AT THE WEDDING pulled in $80,000 from only 2 screens.

The new Brian DePalma film REDACTED tanked with only $25,000 from 15 screens.

5 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Blogger Elver said...

"From my limited POV of the movie business, I can verify this: there don't seem to be many scripts circulating at all."

WGA strike? Not enough wannabe-scabs?

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the holidays, Scott the Reader, relax, and come to peace with your memories.
When you'll be back I'm expecting a detailed report on your good intentions about writing for the next month, and year.
I miss the consecutive writing day update. (C'mon Scott, I know it had to end, but each string of consecutive writing days has meaning and is valid per se. And it has been like a good ol' ticking clock reading about all those pages pouring out -- oh my, did I say old? -- ;). In the meantime I'll see to crank out a new rewrite by the end of November for the 60$ Script Notes.
By the way happy Thanksgiving Day to you and the wife. PS: Mind what you wish before the wishbone... 'cause it can be granted!
.
.
M.
.
.
(...hope this informal doesn't hurt much...)
.
.
[-163 days to the 2008 Nicholl's deadline tick-tock tick-tock ... 30 minutes to write the post...]

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott, IF you need some scripts to start circulating, maybe I can help! I've got lots of scripts looking for BUYERS...

Can't wait to send you my latest script entitled, "Indians of the Ancient Plains." I've been pouring my heart out into this one, and it is VERY special. I'm having a lot of fun writing it too, more fun than even the comedy specs I've written. I figure I've written enough to break in, and lately I've been working on changing my mindset to just enjoy the process, and endevor to create great art, as opposed to cracking out scripts so I can boast, "I've written "x" amount of scripts, OR I'm capable of cranking out a script in "x" amount of weeks.

Can't wait to read your "tentpole" film. Will shoot you an e-mail Monday about mailing you "Indians of the Ancient Plains."

Hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Scott - Have a good Thanksgivin.'

 
At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog. Interesting to hear the perspective of a reader. I will be tuning in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home