ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Weekend Box Office #57

Meanwhile, movies keep coming out.

It's sort of interesting that I haven't heard anyone suggesting yet that people boycott TV and movies until the strike is settled.

I guess the idea is that no one wants to really pee on the industries that, in the end, both sides still need to stay healthy because livings need to be made there. Can't risk chasing the audience off.

And the effects of a boycott would be hard to measure, because box office numbers are so fluid. If there was a boycott this weekend, and FRED CLAUS "only" made $35 million, who's to say how much more it would have made without a boycott? Both sides could easily claim different things.

So keep going to theaters. Hopefully this thing will be settled soon. Meanwhile, I'm going to start listing the writers on every film, something I should have been doing a year ago.

FRED CLAUS (3603 theaters). It's opening wide, they have been advertising the hell out of it, and families have to be sick of BEE MOVIE and THE GAME PLAN by now. Written by Dan Fogelman. Prediction: $39.2 million for the weekend.

LIONS FOR LAMBS (2215 theaters). Reviews have been definitely mixed; word is that this is talky, talky, talky and a more than a bit heavy-handed. It's also only 90 minutes long. Written by Matthew Michael Carnahan. $9.7 million for the weekend.

P2 (2131 theaters). I've seen the commercials, and I feel like I have seen the movie. Written by Alexandre Aja, Franck Khalfoun and Gregory Levasseur. $6.4 million.

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN also opens, in only 28 theaters, while AFTER DARK HORRORFEST 2 opens on 323 screens.

10 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger wcdixon said...

Point taken about interpretration of boycotts, but personally, I feel it's the stockholders that will need to start to feel the pinch in order for movement in the negotiations to kick in. Regarding TV, up here in Canada, a few of us have suggested things like:

"...it's Jim Henshaw who has, I think, the best and most immediate action that you can take if you don't feel like siding with huge multinational media conglomerates:

"As of tonight, I'm turning off all programming that's been served by WGA writers. No shows and immediately plummeting ratings are the only things that might bring studios and networks to their senses."

Crack open a book.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have thought about boycotting TV and movies-- but more than that, I've been not wanting to watch anything online knowing the writers aren't getting a cut.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

HUGE Vince Vaughn fan, but I have a negative bais against most of Hollywood's Chrismass oriented offerings. Hopefully I'll get to see "American Gangster" or "Eastern Promices" tomorrow.

Will NEVER boycott going to the movies and watching TV under the MISGUIDED pretence of supporting the WGA. I would NEVER cross one of their picket lines. And if there was a practacle way I could support my brethren, I would.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I missed the guessing game, but here are the early numbers:

American Gangster: 24-26
Bee Movie - 23-25
Fred Claus - 19-21
Lions For Lambs - 7.1
P2 - 2

Fred came in lower than I thought, then again, it looks really, really dumb. Vaughn is Santa's OLDER brother? Huh? Not sure how they'll explain it, and very sure I won't care. Should have been his deadbeat son or something. Ah, hell with it.

And Lions For Lambs? The title is atrocious, I don't care if it makes total sense within the movie, it's bad. And it looks B O R I N G as shit, which is a shame because I like Cruise & Redford.

I need to see No Country ASAP.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger suzbays said...

I sure as hell won't see any Vince Vaughn movies.

Suz

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Allen said...

a book!?

Cmon now...

I kid. I read...ben mezrich's new book, "rigged" go pick it up.

That said...

American gangster will stay number 1 this week with fred claus coming in second.

Scott, i'm a few weeks a way from taking you up on that script notes offer...hopefully I'll have 2 of them.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Actually, according to today's official estimates, Bee Movie is apparently #1, with Fred Claus coming in 3rd with a disappointing $19 million.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Stella Louise said...

Better to organize a boycott of a source of the revenue--i.e.; advertisers.

Saw No Country for Old Men today. It was awesome. AWESOME.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Stella - good idea, but it'd NEVER work. A handful of geeky bloggers (me included) wouldn't change a thing, because there's a zillion regular folk that don't know/care enough to boycott anything.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Jim Endecott said...

If I were to be proactive for the WGA I would stop buying/renting DVD's and stop viewing downloaded content.

The theatrical releases haven't really been a point of contention here as far as I have read.

-Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home