ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, November 01, 2007

So Yeah, This Strike Is Going To Suck

Needless to say, I'm in one of those jobs that is going to be negatively-affected, bigtime, with any sort of long work stoppage.

Obviously I'm torn, because someday I hope to be a WGA writer, and take advantage of gains in residuals for new media, etc, etc.

But this just seems like it is going to be a train wreck for everyone. It's easy to see this being half a year of hell in which everyone on both sides loses lots of money, before finally coming to an agreement that they could have made yesterday.

Hopefully it all gets resolved soon. But somehow I doubt it.

Meanwhile, I'm revving up my $60 notes offer. It's a bargain, and I've gotten very good at it.

******

My streak of days doing something personally screenwriting-related for at least an hour finally ended Sunday, at 76 straight days.

It was sort of an accident. I did some paying work in the morning, took off for the afternoon with the wife and saw a couple of movies, went out to dinner, and intended to write when I got home.

But then I found a rush notes job that I needed to do, and I did that instead.

Still, it might be good to back off for a little while, and see if I can stay disciplined without it.

Though eventually, I'm going to try to break 100.

9 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I'll try to finish a draft of my current project and do your notes offer before the strike is over. Some sort of twisted motivation.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Alex F. said...

Hi Scott, long time reader...Thanks for the notes offer, I'll definitely keep it in mind when I finish up my latest.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Getting to 76 days IS a great accomplishment, to bad YOUR LIFE got in the way of extending the streak. Where's your priorities man? (joke)

Will be using your notes offer REAL soon... But my advice for surviving the strike is to shop Walmart: you can buy a lot of Zugnut candy bars for sixty bucks!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Chera Federle said...

Take him up on the notes offer, guys, seriously!!! If you haven't used Scott for notes before, this really is a bargin. You get a lot for your money!!! Scott's notes really helped me on one of my scripts.

Wishing you well during the strike, Scott!!!

Chera Federle

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Allen said...

like i said a little while ago, I'm almost ready to take you up on that offer.

things will work out for all of us...

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger rlrichard said...

I'll second the recommendation that you take him up on the notes offer — very well worth it.

— Rob Richard

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Half a year? That's how long it will take?

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Shawna said...

Hey, the LA Times blog quoted this post. You are big time, baby.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger VDOVault said...

Take it from this intellectual property attorney...if the writers lose on the new media revenue sharing, all TV shows movies and generally 'creative artistic' ventures in the future are going to be of the kind where you will demand far more than $60 to read them...no sane talented artists are going to work for free while the MegaMediaCorporations(TM) are out hustling up licensing deals for crappy fast food toys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home