ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, February 01, 2008

Weekend Box Office #69

So it's Super Bowl weekend, when the studios feel like they need to program for all the Super Bowl widows, and this weekend there are a bunch of female-oriented movies. I'm not sure of the logic of this -- the Super Bowl isn't until Sunday afternoon, and there's a lot of movie time before.

Plus, with 27 Dresses and Juno still performing very well, these new releases have their work cut out for them.

THE EYE (2436 theaters). Obviously, since this is toplined by Jessica Alba, it is trying to draw the boys too. Still, this looks a bit generic; I feel like I've seen it already. $10.9 million.

OVER HER DEAD BODY (1977 theaters). This just looks dumb, and I just don't see Eva Longoria as a big movie star. $6.6 million.

STRANGE WILDERNESS (1208 theaters). I've seen an awful lot of TV commercials for this, given that isn't getting a hugely-wide release. It looks like a dopey comedy, but in a way that the young male audience it's going for may like. Though they'll probably go see "The Eye" instead. $5.5 million.

HANNAH MONTANA/MILEY CYRUS: BEST OF BOTH WORLDS CONCERT TOUR (683 theaters). It's in 3D, and only playing for a week, and they are charging higher ticket prices, all of which may conspire to give this a solid weekend. But pretty much only for girls between 8 and 13. $12.2 million.

There Will Be Blood expands from 885 theaters to 1507; it'll probably do about $7 million.

11 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Strange to say, this year I'm thinking of skipping the Superbowl: Patriots v.s. the Giants does NOTHING for me.

LOVE looking at Eva Longoria, but watching her in this movie -- only over MY dead body!

Watched one of the half hour episodes of the TV series, "Hannah Montana" last Saturday, and was pretty impressed by it. But seeing a Hannah Montana concert movie IS only for teenage girls age 8-16. And God the ushers if the teeage girls have sweets before going to see this.

Gunna try to write a lot this weekend, hoping to see "There Will be Blood" either on Saturday or Sunday. What can I say? Rodio wore me down.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

EC - That's what she said. I'm looking forward to your opinion. It's not an easy movie, but I think it should be seen.

My guesstimates:

HM - 22 million - It's pretty much already sold out. If they released this wide it'd probably make about a kabillion.

The Eyeball - Eh. Looks dopey, but Alba might pull in a couple of dudes. Lame horror flicks have done well on the Super Bowl weekend, so it might pull in 12 milly-vanilly.

Strange Wilderness - The best bit in the trailer was repeating the nerdy-dumb shark swimming by. Make me laugh like the idiot I am, but it's R and it's audience will be getting ready for some foosball. I'll guess 7-8 million, but could be a lot less.

Over Her Dead body - Oh Christ Almighty this looks like a stanker. A real shitstorm. 4 million.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend worked on Strange Wilderness, and while he saw a cut of the movie a year ago, he's not sure exactly what it'll be like now.

EVERYONE loves the shark bit. And it worries me that it's being so heavily used in the trailers -- I fear that it 's the best joke.

Sooo, I'll play...

As much as I hate it, I'll have to go high with HANNAH MONTANA -- she's got some die hard fans... die hard fans who may drag parents along -- barring hijacked planes crashing into the concert footage (did you hear about that?) -- So, $18 mil.

THE EYE -- $10 mil sounds safe.

STRANGE WILDERNESS -- I'm gonna give it a better chance than Dead -- $8 mil.

OVER HER DEAD BODY -- I watch a lot of TV -- and I have yet to see one trailer for this. Strange Wilderness? All over the place. The first mention of Dead Body I saw was the painful review on CNN -- $5 mil.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Tavis said...

E.C.--

But aren't we all 8-16 year-old girls at heart?

I guess since there's no Judd Apatow-produced movie opening any time soon we get Jonah Hill and Justin Long in Strange Wilderness and Paul Rudd in Over Her Dead Body. Don't know if that seems like a fair trade off.

Walk Hard opened in the cheap theaters here in Portland-- now I can drink beer while I laugh myself silly.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Danny said...

I'm only a 16 year old girl on the weekends.

I think WALK HARD will find its audience on DVD. It's an extremely smart, extremely funny biopic satire and it's an extreme crime that Reilly didn't get an Oscar nom.

I have no skill whatsoever at this game, but I'll say THE EYE will make 13 million dollars.

-danny boy (writing the sequel called THE TIT, about a haunted breast implant).

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Danny,
I'm working on one called The Cock. Small world! Not that it's small....oh, nevermind.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger wcmartell said...

THE EYE... I *have* seen it before - when it was in Chinese.

And I want to make THE NOSE - about a Beverly Hills cheerleader who gets a nose job and can *smell* evil! But Danny's breats movies sounds better...

- Bill

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger wcmartell said...

I mean "breast".

And Hannah Montana made over $8 million on Friday night... and all of the shows are sold out in advance almost everywhere (so they are adding another week). I say - $27 million for Hannah.

- Bill

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Yeah, they are calling it $29 million for Hannah now. Yikes.

Otherwise, the Eye did about $13 million. 27 Dresses and Juno finished #3 and 4, with Over My Dead Body only making about $4.6 million and Strange Wilderness limping in with about $3 million.

I think I'll write THE VA-JAY-JAY, an urban street horror movie about a boy who gets sex-changed into a girl, but finds that her new vagina holds secrets.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger wcmartell said...

Like, *government* secrets?

- Bill

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I was pretty damn close on my Hannah guess. That's an amazing number. I hear they're extending it. Duh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home