ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Weekend Box Office #71

Even though it's Thursday, all the new movies are opening today, to take advantage of Valentine's Day. Date night.

Be scornful if you will, but 9 years ago I met my wife on Valentine's. Eight years ago, I married her -- on Valentine's Day.

And it was my idea. Yeah, I'm a romantic sap sometimes. Sue me.

THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES (3847 theaters). I'm sure this will be pretty huge. Call it $39.5 million for the 4-day weekend.

JUMPER (3402 theaters). This should do well too. I remember reading the book, a decade or so ago, and wanting to adapt it then. They really appear to have taken a fairly small book and opened it up into a big budget action movie. $35.1 million.

STEP UP 2: THE STREETS (2470 theaters). Will probably do much better than HOW SHE MOVE, which tanked, though they seem like basically the same movie. $9.7 million.

DEFINITELY MAYBE (2203 theaters). It looks like it could be cute, and the female cast is attractive, but I don't think Ryan Reynolds is going to topline a big romcom hit yet. $6.9 million.

We're off to Vegas. Everyhone have a nice weekend.

8 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

If I weren't too busy wallowing in my own loneliness and going to Spanish class, I'd go see Jumper.

I love Ryan Reynolds and would gladly have his children, but this movie looks like blech.

Go see In Bruges. It's awesome.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Emily, I can't believe a spit fire like you is lonely on Valentine's Day? What's with those (so-called) guys in L.A.? Barbinng with Emily is like peeing on an electric fence -- you're gunna get a jolt! (Joke) But hoenestly someone of the masculine persuasion SHOULD show Emily a good time tonight.

Scott, too cool meeting your wife on Valentine's Day, then marrying her a year later on the same day. You do have quite the romantic flare. AND there's a romantic comedy in there too, me thinks...

May go see "Definately Maybe" this weekend, because I'm a sap, but I still haven't seen "Juno" yet and that make take presidence. After waching do a couple episodes in NBC's "Chuck" I think I've fallen in love with Rachel Bilson. THAT chick has a bright future -- if she can stay clean that is, but other than her, "Jumper" doens't have much appeal for me. "The Spiderwick Chronicles" movie reminds me of the unfishished novel I have in my closet. Someday I'm going to get back to that, and hopefull finish my masterpiece.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

Sometimes I feel like I've walked directly into a brick wall. Patrick and Tavis will know what I mean.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

They're not the only ones, Matt. I have a feeling I know what you mean too.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Thunk.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's in the water.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

It must bee.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger LHOOQtius ov Borg said...

I saw The Band's Visit yesterday, and I highly recommend it. Since it's a Sony Pictures Classics US release of a bittersweet Israeli dramedy, showing only in limited run arthouse theaters, it'll probably make about six dollars at the box office -- but I thought it was a great film and really worth seeking out.

Jumper looks cool, so I'll probably see that right after I go take advantage of the fact that a local arthouse theater is showing the documentary Taxi To Nowhere (and I still need to see The Savages -- I'm on an arthouse tear this month).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home