ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, April 27, 2007

Weekend Boxoffice #29

So this is the weekend before the deluge, before Spiderman 3 opens next weekend and wipes everything out.

There are four movies opening wide this weekend, and 2 of them (The Condemned and Kickin' It Old Skool) I've never even heard of. Time to do some research...

Not impressed.

NEXT (2725 theaters). This looks interesting enough to do some business, and it's the kind of movie that Hollywood wants to make -- it has a hook, and it has a star (Nic Cage, who never seems to stop working). But reviews really haven't been very good at all, so it won't do THAT well, just well enough to take the top slot -- for a week. $15.6 million opening weekend.

THE CONDEMNED (2310 theaters). So it turns out that Stone Cold Steve Austin is still appearing in movies that actually run in theaters. Who knew? Does he still have a fan base? I guess we'll find out. But I think it'll tank. $4.2 million.

THE INVISIBLE (2019 theaters). I have a soft spot for this movie, because I've done some work for director David Goyer, and he's a nice guy. I've also seen the original, and it's solid. Hopefully the lack of stars will be balanced out by the fact that they advertised it during American Idol. $10.3 million.

KICKIN' IT OLD SKOOL (1813 theaters). As to why they are still putting Jamie Kennedy in movies, I have no idea. He may have talent, but his movies are always awful. $3.3 million.

-------

I'm determined to get out this weekend and actually see something (and maybe even two) -- I still have yet to see a single movie that has opened this year. Recommendations?

12 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Christina said...

I'm going to see Hot Fuzz this weekend. I loved, loved, loved Shaun of the Dead. And I know this is one is going to be excellent. I bet it's high on your list too.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Go see Fuzz. It's fantastic. The best time I've had in a theater in a long time.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

ilScott,

If you haven't seen "Pan's Labrinth" go see it. As a conesuir of story, you'll NEVER find one as out there, or COOL as the one in "Pan's Labrinth." It's right up there with "The Matrix" in terms of original concept.

I liked "Music and Lyrics," and "Because I Said So," but then again I have a rom/com bend...

"Vaccancy" is OKAY, but there really is NO STORY to it.

I'm with ya on the other offereings, the Seattle Times burried them all in their "new" movie reviews. The next moview I pay to see will be Spiderman 3. Hey, maybe we go see it together!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hot Fuzz and 300. Those two are brilliant. Everything else has been sort of "meh". Sunshine is good, but not something one can't wait for the DVD for.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zodiac if it's still out there.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Stella Louise said...

If you want good writing and great performances, see The Lookout. If you just want a fun, silly movie Blades of Glory.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

I just saw In the Land of Women which Jon Kasdan wrote and directed (son of Lawrence, brother of Jake). I really liked it. One of those movies that you can't wait to discuss and disect. Lots of quality, even with certain reservations.
Scribe
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree vehemently with e.c. henry - I HATED Pan's Labyrinth. Hated it. And I liked License to Drive, okay?

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Well, everything pretty much tanked. Here's the estimates:

1. Disturbia - 10 mil
2. The Invisible - 8 mil
3. Next (This looks like GARBAGE. By the way, Jessica Biel is the love interest? Nic Cage coul easily be her DAD!!! Nasty)
4. The Condemned - 4 mil.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Wow. Kickin' it Old Skool got 0% at Rotten Tomatoes. I didn't know that was possible.

And to think, everybody at the premiere party said it was really good. How ever did they get it so wrong?

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger NailaJ said...

Meet the Robinsons is a good, fun/funny pick, and 300 is a must see - just because everyone else is doing it. Although I must admit it was really well made. I'm not sure Pan's Labyrinth is still open though...

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Dante Kleinberg said...

Saw Hot Fuzz yesterday. Quite good. Recommend it. I had no interest in seeing Shaun of the Dead but since Hot Fuzz was so good now I think I'll rent Shaun after all.

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will echo the others and suggest you go see Hot Fuzz - I thought it was hilarious. I also loved Running Scared - good call. The best comedies do have plot - even Airplane (classic) had a stronger plot than Kickin' it Old School.

cheers,

peb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home