ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, April 20, 2007

Weekend Boxoffice #28

Some decent-looking movies coming out this week. Hot Fuzz is getting some good buzz, Vacancy is supposed to be okay, and the specter of Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling dueling against each other is automatically interesting. And then there's In The Land of Women, which is getting some good reviews as well.

VACANCY (2551 theaters). What could have been a cheesy-looking horror-thriller gets some cachet with the presence of Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale in the leads; good actors stretching in a new genre is always interesting, and apparently this puts mood over gore, something that had started to fall out of fashion. $15.9 million.

FRACTURE (2443 theaters). The commercials are really playing up the idea that Hopkins is back in Silence of the Lambs territory again. I hear this is a little small and talky, but it could click. $13.7 million.

IN THE LAND OF WOMEN (2155 theaters). This is the real wild card; with Vacancy, Fracture and Disturbia fighting for the one-word thriller audience, this could sneak in there, if enough women decide to go to the movies this weekend. Plus it's nice to see that Meg Ryan is back in something worth seeing. $13.6 million.

HOT FUZZ (825 theaters). The screen count is too low to challenge for the lead, but I think word is getting out. $7.1 million.

So my top four is:

Vacancy $15.9 million
Disturbia $15.2 million
Fracture $13.7 million
In the Land of Women $13.6 million

Yours?

8 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm horrible at this game. I didn't realize the screen count for Hot Fuzz was low. I was assuming it would be #1. Maybe not though. I'd like to see In the Land of Women do well. The great Lawrence Kasdan's son is the director on that one. My guess is (without dollar amounts)
Disturbia
Vacancy
Fracture
Hot Fuzz
In the Land of Women

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I'm never right, so feel free to bet against me, but I have a feeling Fracture will bomb.

The previews have done absolutely nothing to make me want to see it.

Hot Fuzz, on the other hand, will do very well considering its low opening. That movie was hands down the coolest film I have seen in ages.

Everybody should see it. Bloody brilliant.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

zdnlojpqLike you, Scott, I'm intreaged by seeing Meg Ryan in "In the Land of Women."

"Fracture" looks like total horse SHIT! How old is Anthony Hopkins, anyway... like 150!! The previews of "Fracture" waxs shade of "Silence of the Lambs," and I don't wanna watch a 150 year old man try to recapture his FORMER glory.

And you're dead on the money with Luke Wilson and Kate Beckansdale in "Vaccancy." Had Luke NOT BEEN in the movie, I'd skip it. But since he is, and he's like one of my favorite actors I've gotta see it.

For my hard earned buck this weekend is two horse race, and I'd give the nod to "Vaccancy" because of it's two stars.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I too am terrible at this game. I do know that I will probably stop in and see Hot Fuzz this weekend, or Year of the Dog (which opened here today in San Francisco). Can't decide...

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

In The Land Of Women got an F in EW.

Here's my guesses:

Disturbia: 13 million
Hot Fuzz - 10 million
Fracture - 9 million
Vacancy - 8 million
Land Of Chicks - 5 million

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Suburban Screenwriter said...

I'm not gonna guess dollar amounts either but my thoughts is--

Disturbia
Vacancy
Fracture
Hot Fuzz
Blades of Glory
In the Land of Women

I'd like to see Jonathan Kasdan do better cause his dad is a great and I can only hope he can follow in his footsteps but the movie looks weak to me of course trailers have come back to haunt me...I;m torn between Fracture and Vacancy myself I think they both look good...we'll see.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Suburban Screenwriter said...

I'd love to see Hot Fuzz too but not a good one for the wife she is a picky movie watcher unfortunately

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

The numbers look like this:

Disturbia - 15
Fracture 11
Vacancy - 8
Fuzz - 6
Women - 6

 

Post a Comment

<< Home