ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sigh.

Almost three weeks ago, a producer who I respect read my screenplay, liked it, and passed it on to both a manager and to an agent that she respected.

I spoke with the manager, who said that he read the script, liked it a lot, but that he thought it would work better as a TV series. I told him that it was a pilot once (8 million plot changes ago, though I didn't say that), and that I'd be happy to make it one again. He thought it was a great idea.

So I turned the script into a pilot. It turned out very well too, even though it's a two-hour pilot, which I know is the kiss of death. Sue me. It doesn't work at one hour -- it needs both.

Anyhow, today I called the manager's office, and left a message that the pilot was ready and would he like a copy? He called me back later, and claimed that coincidentally he was right in the middle of reading the script, and was thinking that TV was the way to go.

Not rereading the script. Reading the script. For the first time.

I know everyone lies in Hollywood about actually reading stuff (well, everyone but me), but you'd think they'd juggle their lies a little better than that.

But you know I sent the pilot to him anyway.

9 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at it this way:

He called you back.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger IQCrash said...

Maybe he's one of those producers that forgets everything when they wake up the next morning.

Like in that movie 50 First Drafts.

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

You just have to sit there and smile when you really want to rip him a new one.

Life I suppose.

Just wait until people are falling over each other to get to your screenplays first. Then see how much honesty and attention he pays you :)

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Which lie did I tell?"

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott, at least you're in the game. After all the smoke and mirrors hopefully they'll see your brilliance and write one of those big checks like I remember seeing in "Happy Gilmore."

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Dante Kleinberg said...

Maybe he meant he was reading through it again. Like he had it in front of him and just started flipping through it remembering how tickled he was by it when suddenly BAM! you called him up.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger NailaJ said...

-.-
Lame.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger m. scott veach said...

yeah, i have to agree with dante. the language is actually ambiguous. so it could go either way.

but part of me believes being a writer in hollywood and complaining about the chaotic, inconsistent contradictory nature of representation is a lot like being a doctor and complaining about all the blood.

one time i was at a party and my manager introduced me to a big-time producer and said "this big-time producer really liked your script" and the producer smiled and said "well, i didn't read it... my assistant really liked it." my manager response: "same thing."

www.writingrobot.com

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Allen said...

good luck regardless....keep us posted scotty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home