ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

TV Seminar

So finding myself more and more obsessed with the idea of TV writing, and still coming off the "I just turned my script into a TV pilot and boy does it feel good" high, I just dropped $150 on a ticket to an upcoming seminar.

It's called "Breaking Into The Box: Making Your Start in Television", and it's at the Writer's Guild of America in Los Angeles. Saturday, May 19, 9 AM until 8 PM.

Details here.

There are a bunch of panels, and a slew of name TV writers scheduled to be there, including Lost's Damon Lindelof, Chris Brancato (the X-Files) and Winnie Holtzman (creator of "My So-Called Life").

General admission $150; WGA members $125; full-time students $110. That includes continental breakfast, box lunch, and an evening wine-and-cheese reception.

Seating is limited to only 120 people. Hopefully the price will keep the dodos out. Probably not.

I'm not a big seminar guy. I went to Robert McKee's all-weekend seminar about 10 years ago, and though I was never bored, I'm not sure what I learned.

But this looks like it addresses something I'm pondering right now, so what the hey.

If anyone else winds up going, let me know. I have a vision of plotting some clever scheme to get my script into someone's hands, and can always use an Ethel to my Lucy.

Okay, not really -- I'm not one of those guys. But if I don't have someone to hang out with on breaks, I may just wind up standing in a corner facing the wall.

3 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Won't be going to the TV seminar, but I hope it provides the inroads you need to make it bit, Scott. Sounds like you're willing to take some chances. Hope this one pans out for you.

BOL (I'm pulling for you)

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going!

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going. Been a playwright and actor in Chicago for ten years and just recently hit Los Angeles to look for work writing in tv and film. I'd love any chance to chat as your blog seems like fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home