ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, October 16, 2009

Weekend Box Office #156

The big question this weekend is how much WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE will do. It has been a roller-coaster ride for this movie: early production work said it was a mess, too dark for kids. But they've done a great job advertising it in the last few months, and I think a lot of kids will want to see it, though I'm not sure how many adults-without-kids will seek it out.

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (3735 theaters). I'm going to guess $42.4 million for the weekend, though it could do a lot more -- or less.

LAW ABIDING CITIZEN (2889 theaters). It looks okay. Maybe $14.5 million for the weekend.

THE STEPFATHER (2734 theaters). Is this a remake anyone was crying out for? Hard to see it garnering much real interest. $4.1 million.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY (expanding to 760 theaters). This made an astounding $7.9 million last weekend, in only 160 theaters. Prediction: $19.5 million this weekend.

*********

Last weekend, COUPLES RETREAT made $34.3 million. I'm dumbfounded. If there's any sign that the economy is rebounding, the fact that people have disposable cash for a poorly-reviewed comedy like this is it.

5 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Saw "Couples Retreat" last weekend. The storyline isn't very interesting, but it has some laughs. Unforutantly the TV trailers betray the discovery of those funny momment soooo it doesn't come across as funny as it should.
The Jon Favreau/Kristen Davis couple's issues was BY FAR the most interesting of all 4 relationships explored in this movie. As such more screentime should have gone to them. The Vince Vaughn Guitar Hero showdown set piece was dreadfull. Good taste SHOULD have kept this from making the final cut, OR better yet developemnt SHOULD have come up with a more interesting story decision at that point.

None of this weekend's offerings look like movies I wanna watch. Even "Paranormal Activity" with all its blog buzz isn't my thing.

Had moments of GREAT first draft writing this week. Should have rode that wave... Why does good writing come and go? Still FINDING my story as I'm writing. I tent to write VERY LONG first drafts. But thank God at least I'm finding the humor and making myself laugh. Writing sports comedy/romantic comedy THAT'S always my biggest worry: the humor. Humor makes it fun. People are willing to forgive a lot of mistakes -- IF you're funny. The romance side of the ledger ALWAYS seams to be much easier for me...

Anyway, hope ya have a great weekend, Scott.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I think Law-Abiding Citizen is going to tank hard.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger I am Jack's complete lack of originality said...

The script for Law Abiding Citizen was pretty good. But the movie looks terrible. Gerard Butler? Fuck him. And fuck Jamie Foxx too. The moment they cast movie stars instead of actors I checked out.

Where the Wild Things are is a must see. For the book. For the director. For the co-writer. For the Arcade Fire song in the trailer. Must see.

Paranormal Activity could be the first scary movie to play in American movie theaters since...shit...The Exorcist?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Joshua James said...

I read LAW ABIDING CITIZEN and liked it a whole lot, very much ... but the marketing for the movie has really mystified me ... they're giving stuff away that they shouldn't, and they seem to not know what the movie is about, really.

I agree about casting, but really it's that the commercials don't show what is cool about the film.

I hope the film is better than it's being portrayed, cuz I really liked the script.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Wow. Wow wow wow. I'm with you Couples Retreat. How in the world did that make $34.3 million? It looks lame, and I'm predisposed to like those sorts of relationship comedies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home