ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, October 02, 2009

Weekend Box Office #154

So I didn't make the Nicholl Finals. Still not a bad run though.

Opening wide this weekend:

ZOMBIELAND (3036 theaters). This looks a little too offbeat to really be huge, but it should make some good money. Prediction: $17.8 million for the weekend.

TOY STORY/TOY STORY 2 (3D) (1745 theaters). The running time (and the fact that everyone owns them) will cut down on the box office a little, but the 3D will help. $14.6 million.

WHIP IT (1720 theaters). I read the script and generally liked it, though I don't think they are selling it very well. $8.1 million.

THE INVENTION OF LYING (1707 theaters). I also read this and liked it, though I don't think they've figured out how to sell it either. $6.5 million.

CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY (expanding to 962 theaters). I'm not sure people are really in the mood to watch this. $5.1 million.

********

Last weekend, SURROGATES opened with $14.9 million. FAME did $10 million. PANDORUM tanked with only $4.4 million.

6 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Sorry to hear you didn't make it to the Nicholl's finals, Scott. Still, hopefully you'll get some buzz for your efforts which will result in a well deserved script sale for you.

Really looking forward to seeing "The Invention of Lying" and "Whip It." Skip it best decribes how E.C views the other offering opening this weekend: "Zombieland," "Capitalism," and "Toy Story." "Toy Story" had its run, either come out with a new one, or don't come out at all. RIP-OFF!

Other than the Nicholl's news I hope all's going well for you down in California. Up here in Washington it's all gloomy and rainy. Good writing weather, not good for much else.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I am creaming my pants over Zombieland.

I would have been there at midnight but all my friends wanted to wait until tonight.

Creaming. Pants.

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you also get the mistake-email congratulating you on the Nicholl Finals?

That was fun, huh? Fortunately, I opened my reject email first, so I knew the congrats must be a mistake.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Yeah. I'd also opened the reject mail first, and knew that since I hadn't gotten the phone call, the congrats one must have been an error.

Though I did try to figure out a scenario in which it wasn't going to be a mistake.

And hell, at least we have official e-mails saying we are finalists, even if they aren't true. Maybe it'll get me into the Playboy Mansion.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Did EVERYBODY get a congrats email?

Damn. That's messed up.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger SimMiles Corporation said...

Alligators in a Helicopter?

Download FSInn FSCopilot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home