ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, September 18, 2009

Weekend Box Office #152

Another week has flown by. It's nuts how fast time is slipping through my fingers.

This weekend's wide releases.

CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS (3119 theaters). I don't know. On the one hand, it's family friendly, but on the other hand it just doesn't seem to have that intangible something that is going to make people flock out to see it. I could be wrong, but I'm going to lowball guess $16.7 million for the weekend.

JENNIFER'S BODY (2701 theaters). Reviews have been underwhelmed, but it's Megan Fox, and that might be enough to do okay. $15.1 million.

THE INFORMANT! (2505 theaters). This was high on my list, until I skimmed the terrible review in the LA Times today. Still, they are advertising the hell out of it. $10.2 million.

LOVE HAPPENS (1989 theaters). This looks a little too generic. $7.7 million.

***********

Last weekend, TYLER PERRY's latest did $23.4 million. 9 did $10.7 million.

SORORITY ROW only did $5.0 million, and WHITEOUT limped in with $4.9 million.

7 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Diablo Cody: talk about one new screenwriter throughing the rule book out the window, and cutting their own course! I would have thought Diablo Cody's FEATURE FILM sophmore effort would have more closely mirrored her break-out hit, "Juno." Instead she's made it a teen horror. Kudos to her for being different. Megan Fox is obveously the big thing, but its the concept behind "Jennifer's Body" that'll keep me from seeing it. I am currious though...

"The Informant" looks like fun. The quick shots of Matt Damon looking goofy make me giggle like an 10 year-old girl.

Will see "Love Happens" later today, though I do agree with you, Scott; "Love Happens" does look a little generic based off its TV trailers. But I wanna get that last romantic comedy I wrote back in June/July in Jennifer Anniston's hands. I like Aarron Ekhart. LOVE Judy Greer. And doesn't the fact the story takes place in Seattle like morally obligate me to see it?

So instead of calling it $7.7 million let's make it $7.70000750 million to accoount for my contribution via the Bonney Lake Multiplex. Note: that could turn out to be $7.70001 million IF I miss the matintinee discount...

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger LHOOQtius ov Borg said...

I agree -- Cloudy was a charming book, but the adaptation just looks so weak. The visuals are really not compelling, and the trailer is worse than the stills. If this does better than $100M U.S. box office, I'll be very sad considering that actually decent CG features like Monster House and Surf's Up didn't.

I was sort-of looking forward to The Informant, though even before the reviews I wasn't really sure what it was going to be that The Insider (which I loved) wasn't.

Jennifer's Body is merely a typical B-movie elevated to the point where anyone cares by A-list (though not necessarily quality) talent.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Firefly Games said...

The "Cloudy" trailer just left me saying, "neat idea - what are they going to do for the other 90 minutes?" But I haven't read the book.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Jim E. said...

I think "Jennifer's Body" may surprise. Never underestimate the power of teenage boy hormones at the box office.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Charlie said...

Couldn't find your email adress on $60 script notes (says it's on your profile... but it isn't).

Could you mail me contact@seriesaddict.fr ,so I can send you the script (and the money)

Sorry to contact you this way.
Thanks

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Weird. The profile used to list it, but I guess they changed the profile set-up.

scottmullen9@sbcglobal.net

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Kind of shocked that CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS was #1 with 30.1 million.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that most of the parents of small children grew up with the book?

Speaking of which, it's a shame that the movie couldn't capture the whimsical charm of it's source material, and had to fall back on the standard 'wacky/incompetent inventor' storyline...mixed with an end of the world/disaster/attack of the giant food scenario.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home