ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, July 31, 2009

Weekend Box Office #145

I need to get to the movies sometime this weekend, I'm falling behind.

ALIENS IN THE ATTIC (3106 theaters). I haven't seem much advertising for this, though that's probably because I'm not watching the TV shows that their demographic watches. Should do something, though it's hard to imagine it'll really click. Prediction: $15.6 million for the weekend.

FUNNY PEOPLE (3008 theaters). I'm a Judd Apatow fan, but this is getting some mixed reviews, while at 2 hours 25 minutes it's also rather long. Still, it's on my short list, and it should have a solid weekend. $33.5 million.

THE COLLECTOR (1325 theaters). I saw a commercial for this last night, and I'm still not sure what it's about. $4.1 million.

Also, THE HURT LOCKER and (500) DAYS OF SUMMER are both continuing to expand. Both are also on my short list.

*******

Last weekend, G-FORCE made $31.7 million, better than I thought, though I think it'll drop fast.

THE UGLY TRUTH made a fairly-shocking $27.6 million. Apparently Katherine Heigl is a movie star, and there is still life in romantic comedies.

ORPHAN made $12.8 million, and will likely sink like a stone.

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott, there will ALWAYS be life in romanitic comedies. As guy and girls will always be interested in each other, thus spawing new incarntations of boy-meets-girl storylines.

"Funny People" SHOULD be fun to watch. Judd Apatow movies are always good for a couple laughs.

There aren't enough beers in the world to get to suffer through "Aliens in the Attic" -- though admittedly I'm not their target demographic.

On Scott Myers's "Go Into the Story" his critic's corner feature on movies opening this week had a couple reviews for "The Thirst." It's some sort of Japanese vampire horror flick with a priest suffering from vampirism. I read parts of the review before entertaing the thought of a priest secretly being a vampire was just too revoulting for me to continue to entertain. Somethings just shouldn't be mixed.

Hope you're having a great summer. Up here in the state of Washington we're suffering in record breaking heat. Got up to 103 in Seattle a couple days ago. Had a lot of fun playing with my brother's 1 and half year-old son yesterday, running him in-and-out of a sprinkler.

Still hard at work on editing down that two part movie. Got the second script down to 135 pages (It started at over 280) Can't wait to have them both ready for you to read. I'm very proud of how they are both shaping up... Vehicles for the likes of either Jonny Depp or Daniel Day Lewis to star in?! Dude, that' what I'm shooting for!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home