ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, July 17, 2009

Weekend Box Office #143

And then there was Potter.

I've seen the first 4 movies, missed #5, though I borrowed it from my sister-in-law (like a year ago, but who's counting).

I'm still trying to figure out if I should watch all 5 again, before going to see 6, or just the last couple, or save it all for some future marathon when the series is done and I have the time and inclination.

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (4325 theaters). This made $58 million on Wednesday (counting midnight sneaks from the night before) and it should continue to roll this weekend. Figure a good $125 million or so for the three days.

*******

Last weekend, BRUNO made $30.6 million after all. Be interesting to see how it holds up.

I LOVE BETH COOPER did only $4.9 million.

5 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott-man-dude, you missed a couple new entrees opening this week: "The Stoning of Soraya M.", and "(500) Days of Summer."

The Seattle Times gave "(500) Days of Summer" a pretty nice review so, goooo rom-com! The "Stoning" show is a drama about Iranian captical punishment... if you're curious.

Can't wait for next week's "The Ugly Truth." HUGE Katherine Heigl backina romantic comedy fan. The romantic latent girl vs guy sparing in the trailers they're playing in TV commercials reminds me a lot of "How To Loose a Guy in 10 Day." Twist my arm. I'm soooo there.

Barbara Walters talked about Bruno the other day on "The View." According to Barbara, you see a little too much of a man's genitalia in this show for her liking. They even mentioned tha Britan is banning this show because of that perversion.

Why is showing genitalia so prevalent in mainstream moives these days? Pee-pee shots of a pervert running around with his Johnson dangling about in a mall chase scene in "Observe and Report" made me sick. Totally disgusting. Totally inappropriate. WHY show that?!

I like it better when the filmmakers have the sencibility to LEAD ON there's nudity, but tastefully keep people's privates from being seen. There's a reason they're called "privates."
Like the scene in "A Fish Called Wanda" where John Clease takes a family picture and covers his "privates" when that family returns home and unexpectly sees him in a comprimising postion. THAT was funny -- AND tastefully done!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I didn't predict grosses for thouse two movies, because they are only opening on a handful of scenes.

As for penis, well I enjoy the sight of a pair of boobies, so I guess man-parts are a necessary trade-off.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

EC

I'm with you on 500 Days of Summer. I haven't even seen the trailer but the involvement of the two lead actors gets my interest.

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Why are Americans so sexist when it comes to nudity? You're happy to see naked women but scared of seeing men's parts! EC, you should grow up a bit - how could it 'make you sick'? It's completely natural. After all - even you, presumably, have one :)

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Luzid said...

Skullen, a lot of it comes down to homophobia -- they're afraid to even LOOK at a man's junk for fear of "catching teh gay".

This country is really medieval in some ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home