ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, June 19, 2009

Weekend Box Office #139

I'm swamped this week, which is great -- I'm not complaining. Not sure if I'll have time to go to the movies this weekend, though, and I'm starting to fall behind.

Not that this week's offerings are all that thrilling:

THE PROPOSAL (3056 theaters). Though it's nice to see Sandra Bullock out in a movie that's getting some decent reviews, at the same time I've seen the trailer and I feel like I've seen the whole movie, and don't want to see it again. Call it $13.4 million for the weekend.

YEAR ONE (3022 theaters). It looks like dumb fun, and it could click with audiences, though then again audiences could just yawn and stay in to watch NASCAR. Prediction: $14.4 million.

WHATEVER WORKS (limited release). Remember when the release of a new Woody Allen movie was an event? Neither do I. None of the reviews that I've seen have been very enthusiastic.

*************

Last weekend, THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3 made $23.3, which isn't terrible but is less than I thought.

IMAGINE THAT made $5.5 million, so I was dead on in my underwhelmedness.

6 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Danny said...

If you do get to the movies, check out MOON - I think you'd dig it.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Glad to hear you're stayin' outta trouble, Scott.

As for "The Proposal" you had me at...

"It's the morning."
"Aah-lasksa..."

Sandra Bulluck is the BEST in the buisness at doing rom-com material right now, and Ryan Renolds has proven he can hold his own. Star power makes me want to see this show; the belief that these two powerhouses can maximiize this scripts material and make it better than it sounds on page or on the trailer -- which I thought was quite good.

Lost me at Jack Black's utterance of "poolie of poolies" in one of the trailers I saw for Year One. Know what the Holy of Holies is? It's a phrase used in the bible. A little respect, a little restraint would have been nice. This show looks VERY FUNNY, but they shouldda left that one out.

Scott, glad to see you're promoting "Whatever Works." Dude, you're like the only one who is! I had to look this show up on IMBD, took me totally by surprice.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

EC...there are no words...

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who knows acting must realize that Ryan Reynolds is undeniably better than Russell Crowe.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Hangover - 22 million
Proposal - 19 million
Year One - 12 million

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Re: Anyonmous

That's what I've been sayin' all along...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home