ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, April 24, 2009

Weekend Box Office #131

Another Friday already. Where does the time go?

OBSESSED (2514 theaters). Yet another iteration of FATAL ATTRACTION, in which we're supposed to believe that anyone would even think of cheating on Beyonce. Still, the specter of Beyonce kicking some white girl's ass will bring in some viewers. Maybe $12.3 million for the weekend.

FIGHTING (2310 theaters). I guess young men have to go see something, and Terrance Howard helps give this some pedigree. Still, it all seems so familiar. $9.1 million.

THE SOLOIST (2024 theaters). The LA Times trashed this movie, but only because the critic knows the character Robert Downey Jr. plays, and couldn't divorce the truth from the movie. Stupid critics. I read the script, and it's okay. Figure $11.7 million.

EARTH (1804 theaters). This opened on Wednesday, and did $4 million, so obviously people are into it. I still think this would have been a cool horror movie title. Figure $10.6 million for the weekend.

*************

Last weekend, 17 AGAIN did a solid $23.7 million. STATE OF PLAY (which I saw, thumbs up) did $14 million. CRANK stumbled in with only $6.9 million.

13 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Spent over $60 in the movie theatres last weekend: movie, popcorn, small drink X 3 -- it does go quick, so I think I'll skip this weeks offerings.

Can't wait for "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past." HOPING its as good as "How to Loose a Guy in 10 Days" or "13 Going on 30." Got my fingers crossed. Also looking forward to "Terminator Salvation." Looks AWESOME.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Obsessed is going to make piles of money.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Yeah it did $10 million Friday. Sigh.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

Crap sells.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Here's a question for ya Scott (and everyone else.) I'm in a contest to pick the most successful summer movies. The criteria is box office gross x rotten tomatoes "top critic" percentage.

So what movies would you want? Especially beyond the obvious top 5 or 6 tentpoles.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

My first pick was Up.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bruno

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tent pole fab 5

Star Trek
T:S
A&D
HP
Transformers

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't mention if you were including both domestic and foreign box office. My 6 picks in my past 2 posts were based on worldwide gross.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Domestic BO only and the tentpoles are long gone. So far i have Up, My Sister's Keeper, and The Time Traveler's Wife. I get to pick 2 more. In the 3rd round now so the movies are getting smaller.

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... that complicates things.

I suppose Shorts is gone?

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Shorts is still there. You think that's gonna make big bucks?

I'm thinking about Taking Woodstock, (500) Days of Summer, I Love You Beth Cooper or Bandslam.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the multiplier effect of a higher RT rating; but I think that's the movie the kids will see -- or be taken to see -- before school starts again. It looks like it has enough humor plus a little edge -- I think that's a good combo that will draw more broadly. Fair to Good RT rating plus big bucks closing out the summer. Crap title might confuse some, but this is all just a guess, right? I thought about Beth Cooper too -- but does she really have that kind of fan base -- and I can't imagine a good RT rating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home