ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, May 22, 2009

Weekend Box Office #135

It's Memorial Day weekend, and theaters should be packed. Though I predict STAR TREK will hold pretty well, because the new stuff is a bit underwhelming.

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM: BATTLE AT THE SMITHSONIAN (4096 theaters). The reviews have been unexciting, while it seems like a clone of the first movie, which wasn't that good. Still, there isn't much out there for family audiences. Call it $54 million for the 4-day weekend.

TERMINATOR SALVATION (3530 theaters). This is also a sequel to a movie that wasn't that great, not to mention a TV series that never found much of an audience. Reviews have been pretty sour, and though people will see this (because things blow up) I think it'll underperform expectations. Call it $42 million for the 4-day weekend.

DANCE FLICK (2450 theaters). It's supposed to be a little better than most of the parody movies of the past few years (though the bar is really low), and the Wayans' brothers name will help. $18.6 million for the 4 days.

********

Last weekend, ANGELS AND DEMONS did $46.2 million, narrowly beating out STAR TREK in its second week.

7 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad reviews -- but TS will do better than you think.

55 -- at least.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Alexander Allrich said...

Sad that Terminator isn't feeling the love from critics -- the trailer had me chomping at the bit to see it. Ironic, since the Star Trek trailer had me yawning but the film itself was a fun ride.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I think people will go see Terminator fully aware that it has flaws and not caring. I know I will.

Night at the Museum will make a crapload.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I found TS to be very unsatisfying. Some nice action sequences, but not much of a story and the ending blows. I think the drop off next weekend will be huge due to word-of-mouth.

Star Trek is a much better movie.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Danny said...

I'm bummed TS isn't playing anywhere in IMAX. If it sucks, I want it to suck WAY DAMN LARGE.

I'll say 60 mil for TS. I'll also say 60 mil for Museum. I'll be wrong on both, but I'm okay with that.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Yeah I think Star Trek did right all the things Terminator did wrong.

Although that Arnold thing was freaking seamless. Somebody deserves an awesome award for that effect.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Just saw "Night at the Museum II." Five beer plot, but it's funny in spots and ALMOST watchable. But that five beer plot is tough to overlook when you came in with no beers and the theatre filled with grade schoolers.

T4 was VERY good untill the mid-point, then in my opinion, it nose-dived into so-so fare. The use of the Marcus Wright character however was GENIOUS, Sam Worthington totally pulled it off. Evil terminators start looking a lot like skeliton monsters on haitus from Halloween after a while. Still, that action set piece in and after 7-11 is LEGENDARY: a ten minure thrill ride worth the price of admission.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home