ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, May 01, 2009

Weekend Box Office #132

So anyone rushing to get something in for the Nicholl Fellowship, the deadline has been pushed back at least one day, to late May 2.

I have nothing new, though I may lob an old script or two in, just for the heck of it.

*******

Opening this weekend:

X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (4099 theaters). It's hard to believe that the online leak is going to hurt this all that much; it's still the kind of movie that a lot of people will want to experience in a theater. Call it $51.1 million for the weekend, though who knows -- it could do a lot less, or a lot more.

GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (3175 theaters). If you think there have been a lot of movies riffing on "A Christmas Carol", you should see how many scripts I've read that do the same thing, that never got made. This one will probably do well enough. $18.7 million.

BATTLE FOR TERRA (1159 theaters). I've met one of the producers, so I hope this does well, but it's very low-profile, and I just don't sense enough wanna-see factor here. $4.0 million.

*****

Last weekend, OBSESSED made $28.6 million. One more reason why Hollywood doesn't think it needs to be all that original any more.

FIGHTING made $11.0 million, and THE SOLOIST only did $9.7 million. So much for serious star vehicles.

EARTH made $8.8 million.

8 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I think Battle for Tera will make more than that. It's a kids movie - the only one out there right now.

I was going to go see Wolverine but after reading the reviews I'm not sure it's worth it. I may just save my money for Star Trek.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Nien Numb said...

Methinks Wolverine will do 76 million.

Ghosts - 14 million
Terra 5 million.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Danny said...

My local theatre had *five* midnight showings of Wolverine - I've never seen that before.

I suck at this game, but I'll say Wolverine will do $60 mil.

And Terra will do $10 mil, because of all the Facebook postings we've been doing. :-)

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Just came back from seeing "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past." Jennifer Garner much as she was in "13 Going on 30," Matthew McConauhey pretty much same as he was in "How to Loose a Guy in 10 Days," two romantic comedy classics -- but this show doesn't reach their level. Not enough jeapordy, refined characters, or funny set-pieces. WISH they would spent more time developing Jennifer Garner's character in the show. The girl-in-waiting thing isn't near enough.

(Sigh)

Don't know what it is, but "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" just have that "must see" feel to it for me. COULD be that I wanted to have Hugh Jackman pitted against Liev Scrieber in a script I've written. But I digress.

(Sigh part II)

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

I'm going to hold back. Don't want to start another war of words with Mr. Anonymous. Shit, I can't hold back.

How to Lose a Guy and 13 Going on 30 are romantic comedy classics? I thought they were unwatchable, especially Lose a Guy. If ever there was an actor that sold his soul it's Wooderson.

Have you seen Annie Hall or When Harry Met Sally?

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Nien Numb said...

I will have to disagree with the ECinator. 13 Going On 30 was cute at best, and Lose A Guy is pretty unwatchable. I agree with Matt, Aniie Hall, Harry & Sally, much better examples.

Heck, even something like Just Friends is better than Lose A Guy.

Just our humble opinions, if you love those flicks, it's all good.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Well, so much for Battle for Terra. And Wolverine killed despite crappy reviews.

*sigh*

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Nien Numb said...

Yeah, Terra bombed. Geesh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home