ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, June 05, 2009

Weekend Box Office #137

Yuck, it's raining. It's not supposed to rain in Los Angeles in June.

Opening this weekend:

LAND OF THE LOST (3521 theaters). It's a good time for a movie that looks like dumb fun, and it it should grab the family audience. I'm going to take a wild guess and say $46.5 million for the weekend, though I could be way off.

THE HANGOVER (3269 theaters). I gave the makers of this some notes along the way, and though I'd like to take credit for making it the funny movie it apparently is, it's likely I really had little to do with that. Still, see it, so they can keep paying me to read other things. Prediction: $18.7 million for the weekend, but it should hold well.

MY LIFE IN RUINS (1164 theaters). I haven't seen any commercials for this film, which stars Nia Vardelos from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". I'm not sure she has enough of a real following to make this a big hit through. $3.6 million for the weekend.

*****

Last weekend, UP made $68.1 million, and DRAG ME TO HELL made $15.8 million.

STAR TREK became the first movie this year to crash over the $200 million mark, though it likely won't make it to $300 million.

4 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Dude, SO COOL that you were involved with a movie that got produced. Especially a well-hyped comedy. Congrats!

Up here in Washingon I've seen LOTS of TV spots for "My Life in Ruins" and it, AND Nia Vardalos look GREAT. She looks better than she did in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" 7 years ago. I'm going to go that this weekend.

Sorry to hear about your weather its been 90-92 in Seattle for last 3 days, unseasonable hot this early in the summer season. Wanna trade?

- E.C. (smiley face) Henry

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Wow -- early predictions are that Hangover is going to make $50 for the weekend -- and Land of the Lost is only going to make $20 million.

High-concept R-rated comedies with no stars are viable again....

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Calk it up to the Mullen affect...

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger CDP. said...

I went to see My Life In Ruins yesterday to get a glimpse of Greece (and some Spain and Italy pretending to be Greece) and was kind of surprised by the film. For one, a totally juvenile running gag that I hated in the trailer ended up making me giggle the whole time -- more and more, in fact, as the plot progressed. For another, I spent the whole 3rd act waiting for an "obligatory" rom-com scene which never happened, which was both refreshing and unsatisfying because it felt like they ended the movie just before the end of the second act. Anyway, anyone else see this and feel similarly?

Still, it was slightly better than I thought it would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home