ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, August 21, 2009

Weekend Box Office #148

The summer is just drifting by. I saw JULIE & JULIA -- and liked it -- but otherwise I haven't seen much of anything.

This weekend's new wide offerings:

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (3165 theaters). Apparently it's too long and slow, but has its moments, sort of like the script. It'll probably do okay, though the 2 1/2 hour running time will hurt the box office a bit. Prediction: $19.5 million for the weekend.

SHORTS (3105 theaters). They are trying to sell this as a film for kids and adults, but apparently it skews pretty young, despite the presence of Jon Cryer and James Spader. Call it $22.4 million, just for the kid factor.

POST GRAD (1958 theaters). I haven't seen any commercials for this, though the LA Times review was pretty dour. $2.6 million.

X-GAMES THE MOVIE (1399 theaters). A limited one-week run, but are there really a huge amount of X-Games fans ready to pony to see this in a theater? $5.2 million.

******

Last weekend, DISTRICT 9 made a very solid $37.4 million, and should hold well. THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE did an okay $18.6 million.

THE GOODS did only $5.6 million, while PONYO did $3.6 million, and BANDSLAM stumbled in with $2.2 million; wow did they sell this movie badly.

8 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

Basterds is mostly getting good to great reviews. At least according to rotten tomatoes. Almost at 90%.

As for the knock that it's too long...I like what Ebert says. "No good movie is too long. No bad movie is too short. "

People shouldn't blame the movie for their short attention spans. I have ADD to the extreme, and I can sit through any length of movie if it's good.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Well, I've read reviews saying it was too long -- so if it feels long to critics, that's not necessarily a good thing.

Plus it's one less showtime a day.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Can't wait to see "District 9," otherwise this week's offernings look uninspired.

Quintin Tarantino always makes "different" movies, BUT as of late I wouldn't put the moniker "good" in front of that. I like the fact he tries diffrent things and is a bit unpredictable, but his offerings of late are a far cry from "Reservoir Dogs" or "Pulp Fiction." Basically I think this guy is living on his past reputation. MAYBE his latest movie will reverse that trend, but watching Brad Pitt lead a team against the Nazi's just doesn't grab me as a show I wanna see. Could be a lingering disappointment factor from that "Gindhouse" fiasco Tarantino laid on us last year.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

The length will definitely hurt the box office, but not necessarily the quality of the film.

EC

Personally, I think Dogs is his overrated film. I prefer Jackie Brown and both volumes of Kill Bill.

Death Proof was solid the first time, pretty hard to watch the second. I still enjoy the first half of the film.

It's the first time I thought QT's dialogue felt forced. Probably didn't help that he chose some pretty bad actors for the second half of the film.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Matt,

I couldn't disagree with you more vehimently. "Reservoir Dogs" was Tarantino's best. The only Tarantino film I can say I honestly LOVED. LOVED his plot choices, and the actors all maximised their contribuitions to this twisted bothched heist story.

I loved "Reservoir Dogs" so much so that I put my own spin on it. Trying to think like Tarantino I wrote a little low budget urban drama entittled, "The Judas Project." Logline: Three friends conspire against a fellow warehouse worker under the guise of launching a rock band.

I do agree with you, Matt, the girl's excessive dialog in "Death Proff" weighed it down considerably. WISH Tarantino had focused more on the car chase, and on Kurt Russell's ex-stunt man character, which was for me the highlight of an otherwise forgetable film.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Basterds - 25
Shorts - 8
X Games - 2

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

As to the Tarantino debate, my faves are Pulp & Jackie, Reservoir would be 3rd. Kill Bill had decent moments but certainly didn't need to span two movies and Deathproof bored me to tears.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

EC

I think I liked Dogs a lot more when I first saw it. For me it hasn't aged as well as some of his other movies.

I really wouldn't argue against it though. Even as my least favorite Tarantino film (until Death Proof came along) there's still a lot to like.

Patrick

Couldn't disagree with you more on Kill Bill. Two perfect films in my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home