ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, June 06, 2008

Weekend Box Office #87

So we're getting to the point of summer in which grosses are getting tougher to predict, particularly when the movies get mixed reviews, as is the case this week.

KUNG FU PANDA (4114 theaters). It's not Pixar and it hasn't gotten raves, so I'm not sure how much adult business it will do. The commercials are somewhat funny, and I'm sure the family business will be there. Call it $40.3 million for the weekend.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN (3462 theaters). This is really sort of a weird premise, the amusing bit with him kicking a guy in the face is now overplayed, and I'm not sure the basic idea here is enough to lure bog audiences. Call it $17.7 million.

Otherwise... life goes on.

8 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Otherwise... life goes on."

Burn. :P

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Huge fan of Jack Black, and Dustin Hoffman. Their voice-over work in "Kung Fu Panda" ALMOAST pushes me to the edge of wanting to see it, almoast.

Much more interested in "You Don't Mess with the Zohan." Adam Sandler's funny, for the most part, and Judd Apatow always has some good laughs in any script with his name associated with it. Will wait to see how posters to this blog liked it to help me decide if this is a must see at the movies, or if it can wait till it's on DVD.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandler isn't that funny, as a matter of fact. :P

Wedding Singer is still a fantastic friggin movie.
Surprise surprise - he didn't write that one.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned Sandler is only tolerable in Wedding Singer, Punch Drunk Love, and maybe a random 20-minute chunk of Happy Gilmore on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That one where he has the time-altering remote control was surprisingly good too. I was expecting it to suck.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

So I badly underestimated both of my predictions. Kung Fu Panda made $20 million on Friday alone, while Zohan did $14.8 million opening day.

I guess the economy isn't too bad after all -- or people are trying to get away and laugh.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I love Kung Fu and I love Pandas, so I will eventually see Kung Fu Panda just for fun, but probably not in the theater because I don't enjoy the presence of small children.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger annabel said...

Kung Fu Panda was one of the worst kids movies I have had to sit through in recent years. That said, my 11 year old daughter seemed to enjoy it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home