ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, May 01, 2008

The 22 Most Interesting Movies of the Next 4 Months

Not necessarily good, mind you, just interesting. On my radar.

IRON MAN (May 2). They've cast the hell out of it with Oscar nominees, but word is that it's a little uneven. A "maybe".

SON OF RAMBOW (May 2). This is supposed to be funny, and moves that rise out of the festival circuit to get decent releases are usually pretty solid.

SPEED RACER (May 9). On this list because it'll probably be huge, but the commercials make it look like a video game for hyperactive 9-year-olds, so unless it gets great reviews I'm gonna skip it.

WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS (May 9). Oh, hell no.

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN (May 16). I read the books as a kid, and liked the first movie well enough, so I might check this out if the reviews are solid enough.

INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (May 22). Hell yeah. Though I'm not enough of a geek to actually wait on long opening-weekend lines to see it; I hate lines.

SEX AND THE CITY (May 30). I watched a couple of episodes when it first come on, and then tuned out. Ladies, you're on your own.

THE FOOT FIST WAY (May 30). A weird little low-budget movie, but the buzz is good.

THE INCREDIBLE HULK (June 13). They are trying to reboot after messing up the first one, and Ed Norton's presence should be interesting. Another movie that is going to depend on the reviews and word-of-mouth for me, though.

THE HAPPENING (June 13). Hopefully this is the movie in which M. Night reverses his downward trend. It's hard to see how it can be any worse than LADY IN THE WATER.

GET SMART (June 20). I like Steve Carell, so I'll see it, unless word comes that they screwed it up.

WALL-E (June 27). It's Pixar, so I'll see it.

HANCOCK (July 2). The screenplay (originally called "Tonight, He Comes") was supposed to be great, while Will Smith has taken few missteps. One of the more likely films I'll check out.

THE WACKNESS (July 3). Though I've never smoked pot, I can enjoy a good funny pot movie.

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH 3D (July 11). Because it's the next generation of 3D technology. And it'll be the first time that Brendan Fraser was ever three-dimensional in anything.

HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY (July 11). Interesting because Guillermo Del Toro is directing it.

THE DARK KNIGHT (July 18). It's a shame that Heath Ledger's death is going to cast such a pall over this film, which no one will be able to watch the same way.

THE X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE (July 25). Apparently it's a stand-alone movie that isn't going to deal with all of the weird ongoing stuff that the first movie tried to wrestle with. Which is good.

CHOKE (August 1). Sam Rockwell starring in a script based on a Chuck Palahniuk novel.

PINEAPPLE EXPRESS (August 8). Because it looks funny, and because Seth Rogen hasn't done me wrong yet.

TROPIC THUNDER (August 15). This is supposed to be good dumb fun, and with a cast including Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise in a fat suit, there's certainly potential.

HAMLET 2 (August 22). Another apparently-very-funny movie that has sprung from the festivals.

7 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Webs said...

Ho ho ho. You took your funny pills this morning.... :)

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get your hopes up for HAMLET 2, it's like an amateur version of WAITING FOR GUFFMAN. Not nearly as funny as it thinks it is.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

When I was at a Northwest Screenwring Guild Event a creative exectutive showed us trailer for "Speed Racer." AWESOME visuals, good cast, but the story behind it? Hmmm... Used to watch the cartoon series as a kid, which had a "Chimpy" in it... Hmmm...

"Iron Man" looks like fun. Was VERY disappointed with "Chronicles of Narnia." Like you, Scott, I read C.S. Lewis series when I was younger. Thought they the TONE wrong on the first one. "Chronicles of Narnia" is NOT "Lord of the Rings." YES C.S. Lewis and J.R. Tolkien were friends, BUT that doesn't mean they wrote the same stuff.

Hopefully "The Happening" will rock. LOVED M. Knigh Shalaman's "The Sixth Sence." If you can touch greatness once, you can touch it again.

HUGE David Koeep fan. After reading the latest "Creative Screenwriting Magazine" and finding out David Koeep did that revision of the latest "Indiana Jones" I'm geeked to see it. Like 4 great writers took a swing at this story. It SHOULD ROCK!!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iron Man is a solid superhero movie, wait for the bit after the credits, it's apparently awesome (I left early and am quite annoyed at myself).

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I've read the script for The Wackness and that's usually not my kind of thing but I really liked it.

I also read an early version of Hancock back when it was a spec and it was fantastic. But the stuff I've read since then suggests they've changed the hell out of it so that it's not the dark, heartfelt piece it originally was. I hope I'm wrong about that because I LOVED this script.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger LHOOQtius ov Borg said...

After Signs, The Village, and The Lady in The Water, M. Night Shyamalan is now officially a hack, so I'll skip his latest.

Speed Racer's visuals look medicore at best to me. I haven't seen the final film, only the trailers, which are sometimes earlier takes than what will be used for finals. But what I have seen isn't impressive.

WALL-E, on the other hand, is visually stellar -- and I'm not just saying that because I worked on it. It's a nice story, too.

Dark Knight and Indy... I am so there. Iron Man and Hulk have good casting ideas, but I'm skeptical about their being any good. We'll see.

Foot Fist Way looks cool, too.

Actually, I'll see more than half of the stuff on Scott's list. A recent movie dry spell seems to finally be coming to an end.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAMLET 2 is on my list, because I've worked with two of the actors on Broadway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home