ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, April 11, 2008

Weekend Box Office #79

I realized I've only seen two 2008 movies in theaters so far. One was 27 DRESSES (because my sister and her husband were extras, though it wasn't THAT bad), the other was THE BANK JOB (which was good). Everything else was catching up on 2007 releases.

I'd like to get out to the movies this weekend -- I have literally seen nothing that is playing in the 16-screen theater that is the closest -- but at the same time I just can't get wildly excited about anything out there.

PROM NIGHT (2700 theaters). I feel like I've already seen it from watching the commercials, and it wasn't that good. Plus movies like this shouldn't be PG-13. Still, $15.7 million.

STREET KINGS (2467 theaters). I feel amazing apathy toward this movie, which got a bad review today in the LA Times as well. I think it could easily tank, though it'll probably scrape out about $8.2 million.

SMART PEOPLE (1106 theaters). Interesting cast, and I'll see Ellen Page in anything, though the posters make it look like it is about Scrabble competitors (it isn't). But the screen count is low, and there's no real hook. $3.9 million.

10 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Lucy V said...

Hi Scott,

Sorry, off-topic but emailed you a few times in recent weeks to no avail, maybe I'm ending up in your junk mail or stupid AOL doesn't like your ISP (it never delivers to yahoo either it seems!). Let me know!

Have a great wknd

x

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger George said...

Don't forget "The Visitor" is opening this weekend in NY and LA, written and directed by Tom McCarthy the dude that did "The Station Agent." It may end up being the best film of 2008. Though, I may be a little biased since my friend is the editor, but the critics are backing me up!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Wednesday night when I narrowly missed a screening I was in the mood to go see a movie. But there was nothing I wanted to see. Even the indie films that look promising aren't showing around here for some reason. I did look at The Visitor but the reviews said it was really depressing and I just didn't want to sit through something depressing.

When do the good movies come out?

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger wcmartell said...

I feel like I've seen PROM NIGHT before because I saw the original.

So, how many times can David Ayers make the same movie... and does this screw it up for anyone else who has a gritty script about corrupt cops (like me)?

- Bill

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Prom Knight - Actually, if you spell it that way, I instantly picture a high concept teen comedy - Hey, EC from Boner Lake - Go write it!

Oh, anyway, 20 million for Prom.

Street Kings - 12 million

Smart (with a Baastan accent) People - 2 million.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger scottycwilliam said...

I think Street Kings will take in 17 million.

Prom Night bombs. 8 million.

Smart People... 3 million.


Prom Knight? brilliant. Write it, Patrick. =)

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Street Kings was bad. Don't bother. I will see anything with Forest Whitaker, but shouldn't have seen this.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Kinda interested in "Smart People" just based on the casting I saw in the previews. Don't know much about it, was busy the past couple of days at a Northwest Screenwriting Guild event in Seattle, which featured lectures by USC's Catherine Ann Jones, who discussed her book, "The Way of Story: The Craft & Soul of Writing." Anybody out there in Whoville read it?

Was 80 and sunny in Seattle yesterday. Wish you were all could have been in Seattle to see what I saw. Trees in bloom. People all over the place coexisting in peace. It was beautiful. I walked the beach just north of Pike Place Market, looked out over Puget Sound to the Olympic Mountains and got very inspired. IF any of you ever come to Seattle I highly suggest you walk the beach. The city's parks department has done a great job. Lots of cool make-out spots too--so be sure to take this stroll with your sweetheart.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Computer games also have a lull early in the year, but most big games aren't released before October - at least in cinema you have the summer blockbusters.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Scott - My new script needs notes, is your $60 critique still being offered?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home