ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Swamped, And It Feels So Good

So the new gig I got is slamming me with reading work, which is great, because no one else is.

It's odd out here in Hollywood right now. I read for a couple of fairly major prodiction companies, who used to give me 5-6 scripts a week to read, and now it's 1, or 2, or none. The big rush after the strike was over? Never really came.

Maybe it's the recession, or maybe those striking writers really were working on their novels. Maybe everyone is worried about what could be a big actor's strike this summer. Or maybe it's because I read for all these second-tier places, that don't get submitted to until all the big boys have passed, and the trickle down hasn't started yet.

But now I'm working for one of the bigger boys, and the work is coming in. Yay. Because it was a rough couple of months.

The wife is finally going back to work today. So that's nice too.

*****

It's also baseball season. As I've mentioned in the past, I've been a diehard Mets fan for way too long. When I was 10, I was at the playoff game in which Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose got into the fight, something that is largely-forgotten now. But the ticket is framed on my wall.

Looks like the Mets should be pretty good this year, if all those old guys can stay healthy, though it's daunting to realize that all those old guys are younger than me (except maybe for pitcher Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, who for all anyone knows could be 50).

And shut up Pat, the Phillies aren't all that.

*****

Last weekend, 21 made an impressive $24.1 million. I saw most of a documentary about the real story on the History Channel this past weekend -- some interesting stuff there.

SUPERHERO MOVIE only made $9.5 million, something of a disappointment. It probably suffered from the fact that all of its satirical predecessors were pretty lame, while people spent thir goofy-movie money on gas instead.

STOP-LOSS only made $4.5 million. It's supposed to be a good movie, but a lot of people don't want to deal with the subject matter now. Out of sight, out of mind.

RUN FAT BOY RUN only made $2.3 million, while neither FLAWLESS nor PRICELESS (one stars Audrey Tautou and the other Michael Caine, though I have no idea which) did all that well in limited release. Though the Tautou one (okay, I just checked, it's PRICELESS) is supposed to be good.

2 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Lucy V said...

There was a movie called Flawless: Philip Seymour Hoffman was a drag queen that lived above Robert De Niro the homophobic cop. If it had stayed within genre/comedy it would have been FAB but it tried its hand at this little thriller tangent that never worked for me.

Glad you're getting loads of work Scott - I'm NOT. It's ticking over, standard for March/April, but I is way, way broke and need MORE.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott, hate to rain on your parade, but over sports radio I just heard Pedro Martinez in on the DL for 4 - 6 weeks.

Glad to hear the new gig is working out for you. Can't have you not living up to your handle, Scott "the reader." And I hope things contintue to go well for your wife back on the job.

Keep rockin.'

Your biggest fan in the greater, Bonney Lake metro area,

E.C. Henry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home