ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, May 29, 2008

So Today I'm 45

When I was younger, I thought people in their 40s were old.

Hell, as a kid, most of my friends' parents seemed ancient, and they were probably in their 30s.

But now I'm 45.

I don't feel 45.

Well, in some ways I do. My body has started its inevitable decline; I don't have the energy I used to have.

But mentally, I don't feel 45 at all. Maybe a perpetual 30.

I think that now Julie Franco has retired, I'm officially older than everyone playing major league baseball. If I had kids, some could be the age of a David Wright or a Lebron James.

Scary.

On the positive side, John F. Kennedy and Bob Hope were also born on May 29. And they did pretty well.

I've always thought that one's birthday was a more-logical time to make resolutions than New Year's. It's already a transitional day, a day in which we are saying that we're a year older, and what's going on in our lives?

So I'm going to make the usual resolutions. Write more often, and with more purpose. Make more time for friends. Try to eat better, exercise more, and drop at least 10 pounds. Talk to my siblings on the phone more often.

And try to do something with my writing career before I hit 46.

16 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Scott!

This is the year. I can feel it. You WILL make things happen.

Now go write that great story only YOU can tell. It's in you man.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Happy birthday. And good luck to you on all the upcoming year's endeavors!

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Lucy V said...

Happy Birthday Scott...you oldie!

; )

PS. Cripes - just thought, by the time I'M 45, my son will be 26, not much younger than I am now! Now I feel old!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Five more years and you'll be half a century old!

Happy birthday, old man.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Scott.

I really enjoy the blog and hope that your 45th year is one of your best ones yet!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, I love you, but you suck. ;-)

Happy Birthday, Scott!

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Scott! Thinkin' of you.

What was that advice that sage, OLD writer gave me way back when? Oh yeah, "Write it. Write it! WRITE IT!" ;)

Hope you're havin' a great one!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger LHOOQtius ov Borg said...

Happy Birthday, and good luck with the "this will be the year" endeavor!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger marcoguarda said...

Absolutely!

I've seen Emily is Gemini too, and E.C. Henry also.

-- GEMINI --

Watching waiting rising falling
Listening calling drifting
Touching feeling seeing believing
Hoping sending leaving

I couldn't say why you and I are Gemini
If I tried to write a million words a day
I see your shadow coming closer
Then watch you drifting away

Watching waiting rising falling
Listening calling drifting
Touching feeling seeing believing
Hoping sending leaving

I couldn't say why you and I are Gemini
We're travelling a million worlds away
I see your shadow coming closer
Then watch you drifting away


Alan Parson Project, The Eye in the Sky, 1982

Eye in the Sky

[... sorry, I couldn't find Gemini ...]

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with all those candles, bro! :-)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Marcoguarda, never put much credence in the "Gemini" thing, BUT thanks for reminding that E.Blake's birthday is coming up. Happy birthday Emily!

Scott, whenever I think about aging I think about Moses from the bible. Back when he was leading Isreal in the wilderness he lived to be like 120 years old--YET the bible says even in his old age his eyes were bright and vigor was unabated. The guy was 120--and he was still gettin' after it! Guess the key is, what's keeping you young...

Whether or not you meet all you career goals, this outpouring from your friends SHOULD make you feel good. Hope you do something special on your birthday. I know on mine (which is coming up shortly) I'm going to Lake Quilalt on the Washington coast with my mom. It's like a 3 mile hike to the beach, but once you get there its pretty raw and uncivilized.

Happy birthday, buddy.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger annabel said...

Happy Birthday! Best wishes!

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Tom said...

Happy Birthday, Scott. This October I will have known you for 20 years. Dude, we're old.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger NailaJ said...

Happy Birthday!!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Chesher Cat said...

Well, crap...as usual, I'm late for the party.

Happy (Belated) Birthday!

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Happy belated "you are now officially entitled to a mid-life crisis" day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home