ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, May 09, 2008

Weekend Box Office #83

So I feel badly about ignoring this blog so much, but I'm still getting slammed with work, and I'm struggling with juggling everything.

Unfortunately, what's really suffering is my writing -- where it was once an hour-a-day thing, now I haven't written a word in over three weeks. Ugh. I've got writing stuff that needs to be done, too.

I don't feel like myself these days.

The good news (I guess) is that I'm not going to be tempted to see any of this weekend's releases:

SPEED RACER (3606 theaters). I didn't have high hopes for this, and the LA Times review today put a stake in this movie for me, with their comment "Vast swaths of dialogue take the place of dramatic action in which things happen, once called scenes". In other words, it's just like the last Matrix movie. Feh. This will make some money this weekend, but I don't see it being huge huge. $34.6 million.

WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS (3215 theaters). I've seen the commercials, and I feel like I've seen the whole movie, and I want my money back already. $13.7 million.

REDBELT (expanding from 6 to 1301 theaters). There's just not anything here that really grabs me. $4.4 million.

4 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger marcoguarda said...

I think you should trick yourself, Scott.

Send yourself an e-mail, attaching the file you're working at, and ask yourself to take the hour a day you need to develop the script.

Let your inner self talk.

Or you could slip your name in the schedule.

Huh? Scott? And who the heck is Scott? Scott? Uhm-- Now I remember! Scott! That guy who used to give notes! That guy who owns the Crocodile-- no-- wait-- those were-- Alligators! Yeah, the Alligators' Blogspot.

I wonder why he has mailed me. The point is I haven't got time for him.

(inner self speaking)

Heck! What?

(inner self speaking)

Nah, I'm late, I can't do that!

(inner self speaking)

I guess you're right...

(inner self speaking)

But--

(inner self speaking)

But--

(inner self speaking)

I told you already I didn't scratch the car!

(inner self speaking)

I don't know!

(inner self speaking)

Yeah--

(inner self speaking)

Yeah--

(inner self speaking)

Well, after all is only an hour a day. Yeah, I must find a way to slip that guy in my schedule.

But that will cost him A LOT!

(inner self speaking)

Alright! If it's fine with him, it'll be fine with me!




The point is you must keep writing, Scott.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott, write on this blog when you can. I appreciate what you do, do. As long as it's not actual do-do. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Life comes in waves. You're just in work mode -- which is a good thing. The people who frequent this blog are your friends. We want to see you succeed. So have some fun in life. We're on your side. The writing will always be there, when you have time for it.

I really need to go to the movies this weekend. Maybe me and my family will go see "Iron Man."

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

So on Friday, What Happens in Vegas beat Speed Racer, though Iron Man made more than both of them combined.

I don't being wrong about Speed Racer. It's always nice when big, dumb overpriced movies tank.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Son of Liberty said...

Don't worry about blogging. We'll survive any doldrums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home