ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Of Course, You Wouldn't Buy This If It Happened in a Road Movie...

My wife, her legally-blind sister and their mother are currently on a road trip down into the heart of Mexico, where my mother-in-law was born.

Which sounds like a movie in and of itself -- sort of a cross between Thelma and Louise and Y Tu Mama Tambien. I'd see it, as long as it didn't suddenly swerve into Turistas.

Anyhow, my wife calls me up the other day with a story.

It turns out that they'd gotten delayed at the border, tried to make the drive to their destination anyway, but found themselves at 2 AM in the middle of nowhere in Mexico.

So they stop to get gas, and ask the attendant if there is a hotel around there.

He gives them directions, and they wind up at this huge white house. It doesn't look like a hotel, there's no sign, but they figure maybe it's a bed and breakfast.

So they knock on the door, and a sleepy woman finally answers, and she tells them that they are mistaken, that it is just her house.

So my wife, her sister and my mother-in-law pile back into the car, my mother-in-law backs out of the woman's driveway --

And she runs over the woman's lamppost. Flattening it.

So they look at each other, and get out of the car, and knock on the woman's door again, and they explain what has happened.

And the woman is not only not mad, but she tells them that she has some empty beds, and she invites them to stay for the night.

And they do.

And in the morning, she gives them breakfast.

And invites them to spend the night there again on their way back if they need to.

They had to talk her into taking some money to pay for the lamppost.

It's nice to see that there are some good people in the world. Next time someone wakes me up at 2 AM, I'll try not to be so crabby.

5 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Lucy V said...

That's amazing! And I take it she's not an axe murderer WAITING for them to come back so she can have her vile revenge for the lamp post?!

But you're right: put that in a film and the Reader would go, "AS IF!!"

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Dave Olden said...

Cool.

World's Fastest Indian. I thought of that right away.

Of course, I knew that was biographical, so I bought it more easily.

Still, great moment.

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's exactly how my entry to the Nicholl this year starts.

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Thomas Crymes said...

There are so many things that happen in real life, that any savvy film goer would scoff at as patently unrealistic.

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It goes back to the old saying - Truth is stranger than fiction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home