ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Blood

So, in my quest to become less of a selfish person, I donated blood today.

For the first time ever. I know, I know.

I used to have a thing about blood, and needles. And blood. My blood, coming out of my body.

But other people's blood, too. A few years ago, my wife broke a coffee mug, and gashed her arm badly. Blood all over. Urgh.

Also not helping was a tale my mother told, about a time she gave blood. She was lying there, and she saw blood shooting into the air. She thought that was strange. And then she realized it was coming from her.

But today, I went to the Red Cross with my wife, who had an appointment for herself (she'd given at a blood drive at work last year, and the Red Cross called and asked her to give more). She didn't pressure me at all into giving. But once there, I sucked it up and did it. And I feel better for it.

A little pain, a little time. But I did read 66 pages of a script. And they give you juice and snacks afterward. Can't beat that.

So I think it'll be a regular thing. A bonding thing with my wife, too. Which is sort of cool.

8 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Lianne said...

Good for you Scott. I've been trying to get over my fear of needles so that I can give blood too. My Dad was gave blood regularly for about 20 years. When he got cancer he always joked that he had donated so much blood that he was probably having his own blood pumped back into him. But when I think about giving blood my limbs turn to jelly and my knees buckle. It helps to read that you aren't good with needles or blood but still managed to do it.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave my 41st unit on Wednesday. It's a great way to remember that what I think of as problems in my life are really not that bad.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger M V Melcer said...

My God! Just last week I was taken to ER for urgent blood transfusion... I was lying there, looking at the blood dripping into me and blessing the person who donated it. Wondering who it was that was giving me my life back. I love you, guys!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Cool beans. But unless they also gave you a Snoopy sticker, you got screwed. It's not a blood donation without Snoopy stickers...

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hamletta really makes it real.

It's the gift of life.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Lucy V said...

Too right, though I have to say they can be bloody fussy. I've tried to give blood so many times and been turned away every time! Once I "looked pale" and got a referral form for my doctor for anaemia!!! I wasn't anaemic though, I just am VERY pale. Though now I am actually anaemic, but that's just post natal.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Steve Barr said...

Good for you, Scott! You're a legitimate hero.

(But, please, don't wear the cape and tights.)

I've given about 5 gallons over the last couple of decades. Just recently I've been giving platelets, which is a much longer process, but I keep having averse reactions. I think I'm going to go back to giving whole blood.

I always have a huge cup of coffee right before I go in. I want to give anyone who receives my blood that extra little kick. :)

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, Scott! I'm no longer able to give blood. The last time I tried, on 9/11, my vein collapsed. I'm glad you're taking up the cause.

Suz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home