ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

50 Things

Inspired by a post over at Borderline Inappropriate, here are 50 things about me --

50. I once almost ran over Ed Asner on the Warner Brothers lot.

49. I used to part my hair in the middle, but sometime in my 20s I was talked out of it.

48. My wife and I play board games almost every night.

47. I don’t like olives.

46. I used to cry while getting my hair cut. I’m not sure when this ended, but it went on for far too long.

45. I once had a mad crush on Winona Ryder, but I never stalked her.

44. I have been to hundreds of baseball games in my life, but never caught a ball, though I was with two people who did.

43. I don’t really enjoy “2001: A Space Odyssey”.

42. My first screenplay was about vampires on a college campus. It wasn’t very good. I later reworked it into a script about werewolves on a college campus. It was only slightly better.

41. I once scored a perfect 800 on the math section of the SATs, and I knew it when I did it. It's largely a wasted skill now, though.

40. I have ridden horses twice in my life. One was in Quebec, the other was in Las Vegas.

39. Cats, not dogs.

38. I never ate sushi until I moved out to Los Angeles. Now I eat it a lot.

37. Supposedly, when my brother was about 16, he made out with Mariah Carey, who lived only a few blocks away. She was a few years younger.

36. I only have one cup of coffee a day. But it’s a really huge cup.

35. My second semester of college, my GPA was 0.79. I made the dean’s list the next three semesters.

34. I have a lot of awards, but they were all for Mathletes. Again, wasted skill.

33. While working as a movie theater manager in Manhattan, I once checked Adrian Lyne’s ID. It was him.

32. Billy Crystal makes me laugh.

31. I met my wife on Valentine’s Day. I married her on Valentine’s Day one year later. I have very few anniversaries to remember.

30. I have absolutely no skill at music or art at all. And don't ask me to sing.

29. My first memory is running in the waves with my father, with my pants on. It felt like we were doing a forbidden thing.

28. My mother-in-law makes great tamales.

27. Little House On The Prairie molded my moral sensibility, for good or bad.

26. In high school, me and my friends used to go to the roller rink every Friday night. I was a geek full of yearning.

25. I believe that the movie “200 Cigarettes” is more amusing than most people give it credit for.

24. Despite not being a churchgoer, one summer I worked as a counselor at a YMCA sleepaway camp. The next summer I worked at a Jewish camp.

23. My parents had only a black-and-white TV for most of my youth.

22. When I lived in Manhattan, I shared an apartment with the guy who builds the Phillie Phanatic and other mascots. His workshop made up 90% of the apartment.

21. I have finally broken my addiction to “Desperate Housewives”.

20. In high school, me and a few friends took an embroidery class. We were the only guys in it. We played poker most of the time. I embroidered a slice of cherry pie onto a t-shirt.

19. I like playing golf, but I’m really not very good at it. Ditto pool.

18. There was one point, not too long ago, when I had read everything that Stephen King had ever written.

17. I once broke my hand punching a bully in the face. He never flinched.

16. The first two albums I ever owned were Queen’s “A Night At The Opera” and Gary Wright’s “Dream Weaver”.

15. The original “House on Haunted Hill” is the only movie that gave my nightmares as a kid.

14. In Atlantic City, I once bet $100 on a hand of blackjack, and was dealt an ace and a jack.

13. I wrote a puppet show, which was performed in Manhattan.

12. Hot foods make my nose run.

11. “King of the Hill” is one of my favorite movies. No, not the cartoon.

10. In high school, I wore corduroy pants every day. I have no explanation for this. I haven’t worn corduroy pants since.

9. When I’m tired, I will occasionally cry during movies.

8. I once took a 3 1/2 day bus trip across the U.S., from Long Island to Seattle. My seatmates included at least one ex-con.

7. I don’t really like roller coasters, but a good flume is cool.

6. I know several people who have sold scripts for big bucks. Neither have writing skills I don’t possess.

5. I am not sure I’ve ever done anything that could be considered truly crazy. Though it might be time.

4. At age 14, I thought “1941” was the best movie ever. I grew out of it.

3. One of my ancestors might have invented saccharine.

2. I have had facial hair ever since I could.

1. I wish I could cook better.

19 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger Burbanked said...

A lot of bloggers have done 50 Things and a bunch have also posted answers to that movie meme that's been floating around quite a bit.

I have to say that I really dig the hell out of these, and I'm not sure why exactly.

I honestly don't mean this the way it's going to sound, but I've never wondered about these things with regard to you; I've never given any of them a single thought. But for some reason, seeing a list like this one - or Borderline Inappropriate's or any of the others I've come across - they're just really compelling reading.

Why do you think that is? Are we all just inherently nosy? Do we tell ourselves that we're getting glimpses into these people - bloggers - who, in some way, we consider our friends despite the fact that many of us do not and may not ever meet in person?

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent here, but it's an interesting phenomenon to me. Perhaps there's even a screen story in it somewhere (see how I brought it full circle there?), but honestly I don't know what that would be.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. It's fun reading.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#20 and #29. Those are my favorites.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Scribe LA said...

"14. In Atlantic City, I once bet $100 on a hand of blackjack, and was dealt an ace and a jack." - my fave. Neat. Oh, and the tamales. Those sound yummy. I'm always up for yummy.
Scribe

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger aggiebrett said...

I still rate 1941 as one of my fave movies (though awful DVD "the director's cut" did sour some of my appreciation there).

BTW, I stole this idea and ran with it on my blog, too. Sue me.
.
.
.
B

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Vic Trundles said...

Is it me or are films that have years as title quite crap? 1941, 2001, 1969 ... ?

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating. It just dawned on me, I have no idea what you look like -- although I didn't picture you with facial hair.
What board games do you and your weife usually play?

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I currently have the cliche writer moustache and goatee, though both are more than a little gray.

Usually Scrabble or Backgammon. Sometimes Dominos or Battleship.

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now THAT was interesting.

Especially the Mariah Carey part.

- Allen

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I a total snoid that I envy the board game companionship.

Don't answer. I KNOW.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Scott. That was cool. I linked to you on The Scribosphere. And I did my own list, too. It was fun.

- E.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I didn't like 2001 either. I fast forwarded through all the boring parts so the movie was like fifteen minutes long.

I copied you and put up my list too. That was kind of fun and nostalgic.xkkpjblr

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad people have confessed to not liking 2001. I have nothing against it, but I did the FF thing, too, and wondered what the hype was about. Must have been a time and place thing.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Webs said...

My daughter caught a Jeff Bagwell foul ball at her fourth-ever MLB game after it bounced off my arm.

She was ten. Yes, she caught it before it bounced. No, she didn't have a glove.

I hate her.

May I guess at what incited the Winona crush? When she leans over to look in the mirror before meeting Edward Scissorhands for the first time?

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger The Dude Speaks said...

It's funny you say that about 200 Cigarettes. I had often wondered about that movie, and I happened to catch it this past Sunday. And you are absolutely right, sir. It's a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Winona was earlier. Probably Heathers. Though I noticed her in Lucas.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: 1941. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Now what are your feelings about "Howard the Duck"? I thought it was pretty damn good and if you liked 1941 I'm sure Howard will go over pretty well.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I didn't hate it.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q: what got you off Housewives? and what did you think of King's venture into the romance arena with Lisey?

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

My wife decided she was tired of Housewives, so I agreed to watch the Apprentice instead.

I have no time for leisure reading any more, so I haven't read King's last 4 or 5 books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home