ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, February 16, 2007

Weekend Boxoffice #19

So with a holiday weekend upon us, the releases are getting more high-profile. There are five movies opening in wide release this weekend, pretty much hitting all segments of the audience.

The following predictions are for the 4-day weekend:

GHOST RIDER (3619 screens). On the plus side, it's a big budget comic book movie with Nic Cage. On the downside, Cage is no longer assured box office at all, while the commercials I've seen for this movie really don't do a good job selling it. Plus they didn't screen it for critics, which can't be a good thing. I think it'll be #1, but it could have made a ton of money if they'd made a good movie that looked interesting. Call it $29.7 million.

BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA (3139 screens). It sort of looks like Narnia light, but there isn't a lot else out for the kids. $25.3 million.

MUSIC AND LYRICS (2955 screens). The studio is doing a good job selling this: it looks cute and funny, and the stars have been all over the place shilling it. The one movie opening today that I might actually go out and see. $20.2 million.

TYLER PERRY'S DADDY'S LITTLE GIRLS (2111 screens). You know you've made it when your name is in the title, and Tyler Perry definitely has his fan base. This isn't a broad comedy featuring Madea, though, so I don't think it'll be that huge, but people will go. $17.7 million.

BREACH (1487 screens). This looks very serious and earnest, while Ryan Phillippe still can't open a movie, and there are a lot of serious, earnest Oscar contenders around. $7.2 million.

4 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I LOVED Bridge to Terebithia as a child. It was one of my very favorite books ever and made me cry my eyes out.

I haven't read it in a long time, but if the movie is as good as I remember the book being expect it to pick up steam over the next couple of weeks.

All my students are going to see Ghost Rider. I kind of want to see Breach too. So those two will probably do well. Especially Ghost Rider. I want to see Nick Cage's head on fire.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

On HBO, they had a making-of of Breach, and for those not familiar with the story, they told you the ENTIRE story. No need to go see that one now! Thanks, HBO!

Here's how it looks (Fri-Mon)....

Ghost - 44 million
Bridge To Talapia - 31 million
Music & Lyrics - 21 million
Daddy's little... - 17 million
Breach - 10 million

Also, Haniibal-Franchise-dying dropped 67%. See ya.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Actually, Ghost Rider is estimated to have done $44 million in just its first three days.

So yikes. Looks like comic book movies are back. Though again, think how well it would have done if it had gotten decent reviews.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late, so I'm not gonna guess, but I will agree with you -- they did a lousy job selling GR, and I LIKE Ghost Rider (in the comics). A friend out there said that they were making it seem less self-serious to appeal to more people, but I think it put off the core audience (granted, not as many people as, say, Spider-man). But still -- I woulda thought it was a comedy from the trailers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home