ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Banging Away

Not much going on. Work is in a lull, though hopefully it'll pick up.

I've been using the time to bang out my low-budget thriller, which is coming along pretty well. I'm doing a draft that's somewhere between a rough draft and a polished one; I haven't done a whole lot of rewriting yet, but because I brainstormed most of the story first, it is all flowing pretty well, and coming out as I intended it to.

Otherwise, I've also started knocking out DVD reviews for a website, in exchange for free DVDs. I figured it was an easy way to force myself to watch movies that I might otherwise skip and listen to all the commentaries (plus I'm a sucker for free DVDs). And there are endless things to learn, even from mediocre or bad films.

Though I can honestly say that I didn't learn much from the director's commentary to "Flicka".

The Oscars are coming up this weekend, and no one seems to be doing anything partywise (at least nothing that we've been invited to). For several years when I lived in Manhattan, I used to go to the annual Variety Club Oscar party, which was in a random movie theater. They rigged it to show the Oscars on the big screen to a full house, which is a great way to watch them, and all the admission money went to charity. I haven't heard of anyone doing anything like that out here.

Anyhow, if anyone is throwing an Oscar shindig and has a couple of empty chairs, I'll weigh any offers. I'd throw together something here, but the parking sucks, the apartment is a mess and my wife could probably use the change of scenery anyway :-)

On a random note, I've become re-addicted to American Idol (damn it), though wow were the guys last night an unimpressive bunch. Hopefully the girls will be a lot better tonight.

2 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you get a job writing reviews for free DVD's? Sounds like heaven to me.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Saw an ad on Craigslist, and responded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home