ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Grief

Just spent a week in Alaska, after the death of my little brother Andy, who died of cancer at age 45.

Andy was an Anchorage fireman, who is believed to have contracted renal cancer from burning wires on the job 13 years ago. Because of this, he is ruled to have died in the line of duty, thanks to a state provision he himself worked on before he ever got sick.

So last Friday, hundreds of firemen marched in a procession through the streets of Anchorage in his honor, and the flags in the state were flown at half-mast.

Andy had lived in Alaska for the past 27 years. He was a world traveler, a great father and a great friend to a lot of people, many of whom I had the honor to meet when I was up there.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to see him more often in the past few decades.

He will be missed.

10 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Very sorry for ur loss. My younger brother passed away 8 years ago. It sucks terribly but it sounds like ur bro did more in his 45 yr.s than most do in 80. Condolences.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Joshua James said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Scott.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Eddie M said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Scott.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

Very sorry for your loss, Scott.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Grubber said...

My thoughts are with you and your family Scott. May he RIP.
Sincerely,
Dave.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott, Sorry I'm so late to respond been working 12-14 hour days lately, but I digress. Sorry to hear about your brother's passing. Solid tribute. Your younger brother sounds like he led a full life. My heart goes out to you and your family.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger MT said...

sorry for your loss, Scott.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Bert said...

Scott, I'm very sorry for your loss.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Jack Dawe said...

Words can't express what happens to your heart with a loss like this, so I'll simply say I'm greatly saddened by news of your brother's death. I also thought appropriate what Heidi said, "Sounds like ur bro did more in his 45 yr.s than most do in
80." Which was my impression as well, reading his bio.

It'll take time to reconstitute yourself after this depth of bereavement. My own younger brother David, who was a minister, died in a head-on collision October 9/2009. Despite the fact that everybody "coped" as well as they could in the circumstances, it's taken his family the better part of a year to get back to the same level they were at before. I've only reached one hundred per cent of my creative output the past month or so - and my other brother continues to struggle as well, personally if not professionally.

Life goes on, but you can't expect to be happy with it for awhile. Eventually, the healing takes place. But the scars remain. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Once again, condolences. And - I know you will - remember to remember the life that was achieved before the loss.

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG.
I haven't been here in a while... and....
I.am.so.sorry.
for your loss.
so tragic. but what a hero!! sounds like he was a beautiful person.

what an honor to not only know him but to be his brother. an unbreakable bond.

my condolences, scott, and keep writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home