ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Movies, Movies

Finally binged on movies over the weekend, convincing the wife to tag along as we saw SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, THE WRESTLER and FROST/NIXON (which was actually her choice).

All three are solid films, all make my top 10 of the year at this point.

Still, I'm finding that the movie that really sticks with me is THE WRESTLER. There's something just oddly perfect about it, from Mickey Rourke (who is so seamless in this part it hardly feels like acting), to the whole world in creates, to a strong of griity/real scenes that keep it involving throughout.

It's not for everyone. Blood does flow, and there aren't any pat resolutions here.

But it's a grabber. And as a bonus, Marisa Tomei gets nekkid.

9 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Whaddya think about the Indian techno music in "Slumdog Millionare?"

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Averyslave said...

I agree about the Wrestler. That film has stuck with me far longer than either Slumdog or Benjamin Button or the other nominated films I've seen. I feel like some boat got missed here.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Joshua James said...

I'm still feeling The Wrestler, too ... it really has haunted me since, and I gotta say, I kinda forgot I was watching Mickey Rourke ... I really did. I thought he kinda disappeared into it, in a good way.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I liked the techno music fine, and overall I liked Slumdog... yet I think it's hurt by the fact that it all feels way too pat and formulaic at times, as moving as it often is.

I felt like I could see the puppeteer's wires throughout.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger deepstructure said...

seems getting nekkid is tomei's new calling card. did you see 'before the devil knows you're dead'? i'm not complaining, but man did that ever feel like a gratuitous sex scene.

almost as bad as halle berry going topless in 'swordfish'. again, not complaining, but it was so uncalled for i almost felt dirty watching it.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

Well at least in The Wrestler she plays a stripper, so it was integral to the plot ;-)

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first 2/3 of Slumdog was good -- but it started to fade when it should've gotten stronger. What begins as an Indian City of God, dissolves into Bollywood.

Act 1 = A-
Act 2 = B
Act 3 = C

Also, I think that the sex scenes in BtDKYD were integral to both the plot and characterization. I know what PSH and MT are all about from that initial sex scene. IOW, much more to this one than the Berry boobs device in Swordfish.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Alexander Allrich said...

Although I haven't yet seen SLUMDOG or FROST/NIXON, I have the feeling neither will leave me thinking about them as much as THE WRESTLER has. Can't get those last frames out of my head...

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Mama's Boyfriend said...

I was really distracted by the naked sex scenes in "Frost/Nixon" and thought that they were exploiting Frank Langella's body, especially in the sex scene with that guy who plays Irving Lazar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home