ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, December 26, 2008

Weekend Box Office #116

So most of these movies opened yesterday. There's something about Christmas that drives people out of the house and to the theaters.

The new wide-release movies, and estimates for the 4-day weekend:

BEDTIME STORIES (3681 theaters). This looks like it is skewing pretty young for Adam Sandler's usual audience, though my niece and nephew were excited about seeing it. $45.2 million for the weekend.

MARLEY AND ME (3480 theaters). Never estimate the power of a comedy involving a dog, especially one that looks grown-up-friendly. $56.7 million.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (2988 theaters). It's length will hurt it, and reviews have been a little mixed. $31.2 million.

VALKYRIE (2711 theaters). I saw this yesterday, and it's okay, though rather slow and talky. I don't think it'll do that well, particularly when word gets around that it's not very action-packed. $25.2 million.

THE SPIRIT (2509 theaters). Lack of stars and no-profile hero aren't going to add up to all that much. $9.7 million.

10 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Yeah, I'm a sucker... I'm gonna see the dog movie.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Got a Regal movie theater gift card as a Christmass present, but I'm looking forward to seeing "Slumdog Millionaire" and either "Australia" or "Frost/Nixon" tomorrow after I exchange a jacket gift that doesn't fit.

Did ya get any "good stuff" for Christmass this year, Scott? What was the wierdest present you got?

My mom gave me a $5 off coupon for Super Cuts, AND a Starbucks card good for free peppermint concoction. BOTH gifts were like cutouts from the newspaper. Total hick gift -- from my perpsective. Might fly in Kentucky, but in Bonney Lake, Washington we have certain standards which must be upheld. Needless to say, I gave her an earful about that.

Has this season yeilded any good Christmass stories involving you and your relatives that can share without the threat of police investigation?

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

The Spirit got 16% on Rotten Tomatoes. Damn.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Eddie M said...

I know this is particularly current, but did anyone else feel jobbed by Burn After Reading? I've been more entertained by Golf Club Weekly magazine while waiting for my tires to be rotated. Just saying.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

I enjoyed Burn, actually, thought it was fun.

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

I also liked Burn. It was pretty subversive comedy.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EC is going to open fire on a large crowd of people one of these days. Mark my words.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

Anonymous, I think you just wrote the plot of your next script.

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think a movie character based on EC would be believable.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Annonymous,

Take it from someone who knows the guy, cool as he is, E.C. Henry will NEVER "open up on a crowd of people." He LA-AH-OVES people. And everything E.C. does IS interesting by definition.
Don't know why you like making cracks about me like you do. But thanks, I'm flatted I warrant so much of your time. It is justified. I am very interesting, though you're probably right, I am a bit of a goofball so a movie character based on cute ol' E.C. probabely wouldn't be too believe -- unless it was part of a "Tom and Jerry" cartoon, BUT at least that character would be good looking!

Point: Emily.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

"Happy New Year" all ye who frequent Scott's blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home