ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Way Too Far Behind, On Everything

So it's a new year, and time for old resolutions. Drop a few pounds, write a lot of scripts.

Things are in play. I have a few scripts floating around out there getting read.

I'm work on an assignment pitch with a writing partner, and also brainstorming a return to my fantasy/comedy, so that with either one I can convince my writing group that I'm not the sick, twisted guy that my recent dark thriller efforts might lead on to believe.

Meanwhile, I'm far, far, far behind on movies. How far?

Entertainment Weekly just came out with it's list of the 25 movies from 2008 to see before the Oscars.

I've seen 3 -- The Visitor, The Dark Knight, and Milk. Maybe I get a half-point because I read the script for Gran Torino.

But there have been years in the past where that number would have been closer to 20.

What haven't I seen from that list?

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Slumdog Millionaire
Frost/Nixon
Doubt
Revolutionary Road
Wall-E
The Wrestler
Gran Torino
The Reader
Rachel Getting Married
Changeling
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Tropic Thunder
Happy-Go-Lucky
I Loved You So Long
Frozen River
Nothing But The Truth
Man On Wire
Synecdoche, New York
The Duchess
Defiance
Australia

I know, I suck.

How many have you seen?

And what's the best 2008 movie you've seen?

9 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Christian H. said...

You're doing better than me. I only saw The Dark Knight.

Admittedly though my day job is kicking my butt as has been for the last 8 months.

It's tempting to quit and move to LA now.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Danny said...

I gotta go with Slumdog, man. That movie just kicked my ass all over the theatre and then out into the street.

Frost/Nixon is a close second, though - funny, suspenseful, with great performances. All the greater achievement seeing as how the movie is about ... a guy interviewing another guy. And all the more relevant now when we have our own Vietnam.

Synecdoche, New York ... glad I saw it, glad it got made ... and that's about it.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Scott, I LOVE the fact you write different stuff. I think ALL the great writers can cross genre in pursuit of nailing a great story. I hope you get a well desirved sale, and that your assignment goes well.

So far I've seen: "The Dark Knight," "Iron Man," "Tropic Thunder," "Slumdog Millionare," and "Australia."

Will see "Synecdoche, NY" when it comes on video, and probably "Benjamin Button" too. Really interested in seeing "Frost/Nixon" with Danny saying its a close second to "Slumdog Millionare.

Best movie of 2008:
"Slumdog Millionare"

Second best of 2008:
"The Dark Knight"

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Third World Girl said...

Ha! I cannot believe I have you beat Scott...even if it's just by one movie.

Best of the year

The Dark Knight followed by The Visitor. (I really hope Richard Jenkins sneaks in somehow for a Best Actor nomination.)

Then again, I've only seen four: The Visitor, The Dark Knight, Slumdog and Rachel Getting Married.

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wall-E is robotic hands down the BEST!!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I've seen four of them: The Dark Knight, Benjamin Button, The Wrestler and Tropic Thunder.

Of those I think it's a tossup between Benjamin Button and The Wrestler, with a slight edge going to the former.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Out of the list I have seen 3.

In my defence, that's because a lot of those haven't been released here in the UK yet.

My movie of the year would have to be Wall-E. Although, now I own it on DVD, I usually skip the human bits.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger James Moen said...

I've seen six: The Dark Knight, Gran Torino, Australia, Tropic Thunder, The Duchess, and Benjamin Button. I read some of the script for Synecdoche, NY, does that earn me points?

Been a slow movie year. I'll probably see Vicky Christina Barcelona because I like Woody Allen and Slumdog, just so I can discuss it with those swooning over it. The other movies... I really don't want to see.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Just saw "Frost/Nixon" last night. In my opinion it's not as good as "Slumdog Millionare" or "The Dark Night." GREAT performance by Michael Sheen, who plays David Frost, and Frank Langella, who plays Nixon, BUT the story can't overcome it's inherant problem: the main conflict is the protagonist's supporters want him to solicit an admission of gilt by Nixon. For me this simply isn't strong enough conflict, despite Ron Howard's EXEMPLORARY attempt at making this story bigger than it really is.

Still, Micheal Sheen deserves an Oscar for his outstanding performance as David Frost. Some of the looks he gives Nixon are simply out of this world. VERY interesting protagonist to follow.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home