ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Monday, October 01, 2007

Somewhat Depressed

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm a New York Mets fan. Since about 1972.

I grew up going to Mets games for my birthday. In my post-college years, living in Manhattan, I used to take the 7 train out regularly (and yeah, sometimes I read scripts on the train. Or in my seat in the stadium, if I was alone).

I suffered through a lot of bad years, and some very good ones. But this year is the worst.

18 days ago, the Mets were in first place by 7 games. No one had ever blown a bigger lead in September. No one had ever blown a 7-game lead with fewer than 20-odd games to go.

The Mets promptly went out and lost 13 of their last 17 games.

In the final week of the season, with 7 games to play against teams with losing records, 3 wins turns out would have won them first place. 2 wins would have at least gotten them into a one-game playoff against the Phillies.

Instead they only won 1 game. Most of the games they lost weren't even very close.

The pitching staff collapsed. Future Hall of Famer Tom Glavine got only one out yesterday, before being pulled after letting 8 of the first 9 hitters reach base. The bullpen was appalling. All-world leadoff man Jose Reyes forgot how to hit.

Even today's LA Times has a photo of a depressed Mets fan on the cover.

Oh well. I'm getting over it.

Go Cubs. Go Indians.

******

THE GAME PLAN wound up being number 1 for the weekend, validating the fact that Americans will go see anything if they think it might be funny. It did an estimated $22.7 million for the weekend.

THE KINGDOM made a solid $17.7 million. FEAST OF LOVE flopped with only $1.7 million.

In limited release, INTO THE WILD continued its solid expansion, averaging over $20,000 in 33 theaters. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE had a decent per-screen average of a little over $6000, bringing in just over $2 million in 339 theaters.

IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH only averaged $2000 a theater, and probably won't expand past the 762 screens it's on now. JESSE JAMES did another $18,000 per on its five screens.

THE DARJEELING LIMITED brought in over $140,000 from just two Manhattan theaters. LUST, CAUTION made about $61,000 from a single theater.

3 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Ryan Paige said...

The Mets' sputter down the stretch is the sort of collapse usually only seen in Houston-area sports teams.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Sorry for your loss, but I'm a Phils fan, and was glad to see them go. Plus, the Phils beat the tar out of them all year.

But I think David Wright rocks, and John Maine is a hell of a young arm. Not sure why Glavine im-loded though.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

vScott,

When I was young I used to cry when the (Seattle) Seahawk would loose, but now they don't loose so I don't have that problem. (joke)

Two mental epifany's have helped me put "professioal sports" in proper prospective. # 1: sports are soap oprahs for men. # 2: a day watching sports and day spent at the circus are the same. Dennis Rodman, Terell Owens, Chad Johnson, and Mike Tyson make one want to sing, "bring one the clowns. These are our clowns?" (Impomptu Judy Collins interlude)

But take heart, Scott, the Mets have ende bad, but my Mariners mailed it in late August. Then just this week they re-up'd the contract of their (lemon) GM and managager. Ugh!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home