ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, September 28, 2007

Weekend Box Office #51

I really need to see something this weekend. I haven't been in a theater in over a month.

This weekend's wide openers:

THE GAME PLAN (3103 theaters). This looks fairly horrifying. Is anyone over the age of 11 really interested in seeing this? Are fans of The Rock interested in seeing this? Still, there's a dearth of family movies around, and I'm sure it will do well. Figure $18.8 million for the weekend.

THE KINGDOM (2792 theaters). This has gotten a lot of solid reviews, though there also seems to be a backlash starting, of the "it's good but not THAT good" variety. Still, it's on my short list, and should beat The Rock. $21.8 million.

FEAST OF LOVE (1200 theaters). This will be an interesting test, to see if ensemble romantic tales like this (think LOVE ACTUALLY) can make money. The fact that it is only being released on 1200 screens isn't a particularly good sign though. Figure $5.3 million.

Among the smaller openings are TRADE (90 theaters), THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2 theaters) and LUST, CAUTION (1 theater).

INTO THE WILD is jumping from 4 to 33 theaters, though THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES is taking its time and holding in its 5 theaters for now.

IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH is taking what could be its last shot, expanding from 317 to 762 theaters. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE does a smaller expansion, from 276 to 339.

8 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Joshua James said...

I really enjoyed 3:10 TO YUMA, if you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend it . . . so far the best film I've seen this year.

I thought about seeing GAMEPLAN, but then I realized I'd already seen it when I saw THE PACIFIER. Then I remembered I hadn't gone to see THE PACIFIER because I'd already seen it when I went to see KINDERGARTEN COP . . .

so I doubt I'll be catching THE ROCK.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember a time when a movie trailer turned me off as much as Game Plan's trailer did. So uninspired, so desperate...just looks so bad.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Emily might just punch me in the gut, but I'm kinda interested in the "Jane Austin Book Club" -- because it's writer-director is Robin Swicord. You see I read Karl Iglesias' "The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters" from time-to-time and I just love what she has to say.

Scott, I'm kinda surpiced you haven't posted about the new TV season. Have you seen any of the new premires? On Monday I watched "How I Met Your Mother" and then the second half of "Chuck." "Chuck" looks awesome. I was VERY impressed by it, will definately watch that one again. I've love "How I Met Your Mother," but its premire on Monday was a step down from previous offerings. Still, Neil Patrick Harris' Barney character has grown on me to point that I just laugh everytime I see him now. I think Neil Patrick Harris' Barney is the best character on network TV. What do you think?

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Da Kingdom - 22
The Lame Plan - 12
Feast Of Love - 1.2 million'

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contrary to others, if I actually went to the theaters (I don't much anymore) I'd go to The Game Plan because my friends worked on it. And the director gave me all of his old GI Joe VHSs, so he's bought me.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Allen said...

into the wild was great, saw it last night at the landmark.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Christian H. said...

Joshua, The Pacifier was nothing like kindergarten cop. It wasn't too bad.

As long as The Game Plan doesn't come out like "1 football player and a baby," it may have legs.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh...The Game Plan was number one. Depressing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home