ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, September 21, 2007

Weekend Box Office #50

The new wide releases aren't all that impressive, but some good movies are starting to expand, and others (like THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES and INTO THE WILD) are opening in a few theaters, in preparation for bigger runs in a few weeks.

This weekend's new films:

RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION (2828 theaters). Somehow, I have the feeling that even people who missed the first two won't have trouble figuring out what's going on. I'm sure this has its audience, but I won't be there. Estimate: $16.9 million for the weekend.

GOOD LUCK CHUCK (2612 theaters). The irony is that this script originally sold because it has a high-concept hook -- it's about a guy who gets the reputation of being the guy you are with before you meet Mr. Right, and women seek him out so they can dump him. The commercials pretty much ignore this, however, in favor of endless shots of Jessica Alba being cute and clumsy. I'm not sure that will be enough, but it'll do something. $11.1 million.

SYDNEY WHITE (2102 theaters). Amanda Bynes, in a riff on Snow White set on a college campus. Instead of the seven dwarfs, it's the seven dorks. Laughing yet? $4.8 million.

EASTERN PROMISES (expanding to 1404 theaters from 15). This is supposed to be good, but I'm not sure what the hook is to bring in audiences who haven't heard that. Call it $5.1 million.

5 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Christina said...

I saw Once two nights ago and think it's the best film I've seen all year. But it's only done 8 million, I think, at the BO.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Can't wait to see Jessica Alba shine (I hope, I hope) in "Good Luck Chuck" will see that over the weekend for sure. Also very interested in "Eastern Promices."

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

P.S. Two states north, in Washington, we're being duluged with previews of Dewane "The Rock's" new football comedy. Good god, does that ever look stupid!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

Res Evil - 18 million
Good Luck - 10 million
Easter Promises - 7 million
White - 6.5 million

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eastern Promises was incredible. You'd have to pay me to see Good Luck Chuck.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger James Moen said...

I'm not seeing Res evil or Good Luck Chuck, though I'm sure they both have their audiences. I had to look up the Snow White ripoff, what channel are they advertising on? Eastern Promises I've been dying to see, so:

Res Evil - 15 mil
Good luck - 7mil
White - 4 mil
Eastern Promises - 8mil

Across the Universe is also wider this week (400 theaters I think). Seen it yesterday and I'll see it again. It isn't much for plot, but visually and musically it is worth the money just for the artistic experience. I think it'll do 3-4 mil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home