ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Jet Lag and Writing

So though I'm back in L.A., I'm still on New York time, which is messing with my head.

Usually I'm a night person. I go to bed around 1-1:30, then get up around 9. But the last few days, I've been falling asleep around 9PM, and waking up around 4:15.

If the human race was meant to be up at 4:15, then there'd be something on TV at 4:15. I don't know if you have flipped around the channels in the wee hours recently, but pretty much everyone is well into infomercials by then.

I also have trouble focusing on writing when I'm tired, though I'm trying, particularly since, because Hollywood hasn't gotten up to speed yet in the new year, I have nothing to do but write.

So yesterday I pushed myself into brainstorming more of the second half of my new script, which I'd knocked out about 8 pages of in December. Since the first half of the script is pretty much all structured, I actually feel confident putting words on paper while the second half is still in flux, and playing with the pages is helping bring the story into focus.

Yesterday I also reworked those 8 pages, and added 4 more. So I'm up to 12. Today's plan is to write like a madman, at least until paying work falls on my head.

My slot in the writing group comes up on January 22. The plan is to have a solid first act, 25 pages for the actors there to cold read, so I can hear how it sounds and get feedback from my fellow writers. So far I'm on schedule, and I hope to be well beyond the 25-page mark by then.

Deadlines help.

Otherwise, I've been wading through season 2 of The Office, which was a gift from my lovely wife (after I hinted for it heavily, naturally). The great thing is that each episide has about 8 minutes of deleted scenes that are just as strong as anything actually in the episode; editing down what would be solid 30-minute shows into the 22-minutes they actually have must be tough every week, and its great that they throw all this material on the disk.

The commentaries are fun too. I can't recommend the DVD enough, especially if you are a fan of the show.

I'm caffeinated, and still tired. But it's time to suck it up. Back to the script...

6 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Emily Blake said...

I had a professor once who went to sleep at 9 and got up at 4 every day. One morning he brought freshly baked cookise to our 10 o'clock class. Who bakes cookies at 4 in the morning?

I'm pretty sure he was gay, though. I think he just went to bed early to get away from his wife. But the cookies were good and I learned a lot of French.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm an even nightier person than ou, Scott. I go to bed at 4 or 5 am and get up around 11.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Alan Smithee said...

I've been trying to find a screenwriting group. Any openings in yours?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

They seem pretty full up at this point.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said...

We got that gift set of the Office (Seasons 1 & 2) from Best Buy, comes in a dunder-mifflin paper box with some goodies from "dunder mifflin." Cool shit, man.

Now go write like a madman.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger mernitman said...

those early hours are the best.
and when you've done some writing first thing in the day, you feel totally justified in goofing off later...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home