ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, March 19, 2010

Weekend Box Office #177

The new wide releases continue to be fairly uninspiring --

DIARY OF A WIMPY KID (3077 theaters). This is based on a best-selling series of books, and it'll probably do fairly well with the younger set. Figure $17.4 million for the weekend.

THE BOUNTY HUNTER (3074 theaters). This looks a bit painful, while reviews have been bad. Figure $14.5 million for the weekend.

REPO MEN (2522 theaters). I was hoping this would be good, but apparently not so much. $11.2 million.

THE RUNAWAYS is also opening in a couple hundred theaters; I heard it's okay. GHOST WRITER expands to 819, and is supposed to be pretty good.

******

Last weekend, GREEN ZONE did only $14.3 million. SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE did $9.8 million. REMEMBER ME stumbled in with only $8.1 million, while OUR FAMILY WEDDING did $7.6 million.

4 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

I'm kinda thinking "The Bounty Hunter" won't be very good eihter, BUT I'm such a fan of the genre I'm going to see it anyway.

"Repo Men" looks like an absolute turd. Nice cast, but a utterly ridiculous premice. A cast like that deserves better.

"The Rumaways" looks interesting.

Hope you have a great weekend, big guy. Very psched up here in Washington as my U.W. Huskies won a thriller over Marquette yesterday in the NCAA College Basketball Tournament. Yeah, sure they're probably not going real far, but I'll root for my team till the bitter end.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

My Dad graduated from UW. He grew up in Puyallup.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Recovering Booth Rat said...

The Bounty Hunter is the modern day equivalent of Midnight Run.

But instead of putting two terrific, first rate actors into an R-rated, smart, witty as fuck comedy, they put two moderately talented, yet dull as vanilla ice cream actors into a romantic comedy with no heart.

I never thought I would romanticize the eighties, but here I am.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Stephen Hoover said...

REPO MEN was horrible. Ending is one of the worst I've seen in years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home