ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Friday, February 26, 2010

Weekend Box Office #174

Another week slipped through my fingers somehow. Did a little writing, not enough, though now I'm going to curl up with a cup of coffee and try to be creative.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of things opening this weekend:

COP OUT (3150 theaters). The original title, "A Couple of Dicks", was definitely more distinctive, but apparently they changed it because they weren't going to be able to advertise it on network TV before 9PM, double meaning or not. Given that it's a very scatological R-rated movie, I think they should have kept the original title rather than this generic one, though reviews for this haven't been very strong at all. It's the first movie Kevin Smith directed that he didn't write. Call it $17.4 million for the weekend.

THE CRAZIES (2476 theaters). Reviews have been pretty solid, and I'm sure it'll find something of an audience. Call it $17.4 million for the weekend; it'll be interesting to see if "Shutter Island" holds in first place.

*******

Last weekend, Shutter Island made $41.1 million, so I was close.

Avatar should careen over the $700 million domestic mark this weekend, $2.5 billion worldwide. Yikes.

4 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

I need to get the movies SO BADLY. Wish there was something stronger drawing me there. Maybe an Oscar's flick I missed...

Did see the Coen brothers', "A Serious Man" on DVD last week. Wow, what a lemon -- and it's up for best picture?! Huge fan of the Coen brothers, but a "A Serious Man" was a serious snorer. One of the most boring movies I can remember seeing in a long time.

Anyway, I hope life's treating you well, Scott.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger I am Jack's complete lack of originality said...

EC,

I swear, you are a really nice guy, but you have the worst taste of any human being I have ever encountered.

You can't be a Coen fan and not love the shit out of A Serious Man. It's a masterpiece, one of the top two or three of the year.

But I still think you're a really nice guy.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Re: "I am Jack's complete lack of originality":

IF you liked "A Serious Man" AND thought it was worthy of Oscar considieration, you SHOULD post why, and NOT take cheap-shots at me.

It's called CONTENT POSTING. HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY!!

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger I am Jack's complete lack of originality said...

Calling you a really nice guy, and meaning it, is taking a cheap shot at you? I just think you have really bad taste in movies. So do a lot of people that I like. It's all subjective anyway.

You said:

"It's called CONTENT POSTING. HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY!!"

You also said:

"Wow, what a lemon -- and it's up for best picture?! Huge fan of the Coen brothers, but a "A Serious Man" was a serious snorer. One of the most boring movies I can remember seeing in a long time."

Not a lot of content or specifics in that post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home