ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Weekend Box Office #90

This is the first time I've been a day late in my weekend preview for a while. But my wife has been home battling a virus, and that's a distraction.

She's doing better though.

Otherwise, I think I'm over the hump in being swamped; I still have work, but I don't feel buried under pressing deadlines.

Hopefully I'll be able to do some major digging back into my screenplay this week, though now I'm concerned about its possible resemblance to an upcoming Ricky Gervais/Greg Kinnear script called GHOST TOWN. If anyone has a line on the script, let me know.

This weekend:

WALL-E (3992 theaters). Is anyone more reliable than Pixar? This has gotten a lot of very solid reviews, and should do well. My guess? $71.1 million for the weekend.

WANTED (3175 theaters). It sort of looks like action claptrap, but reviews haven't been entirely dismissive, and I'm sure there will be people checking this out. $31.2 million.

*****

I've been wading my way through a box of DVDs, and I can report that 4 MONTHS, 3 WEEKS and 2 DAYS is small, European and rivetting throughout.

Meanwhile, I wanted to like BE KIND REWIND, but it just isn't really all that funny, despite an amiable tone.

5 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Scott the Reader said...

I made my guesses blind, without looking at Friday's grosses. I've underestimated Wanted badly -- it did $18.7 million on Friday alone.

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to punch myself after watching Be Kind Rewind's sappy arse ending scene.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger E.C. Henry said...

Don't have much desire to see any of this weeks new movie offerings. Currently it's in the mid-90s here in Washington -- and I'm LOVING IT!!! Got the labtop out, drinking a little brewage, line editing that romantic comedy I promiced...

My brother's got his 4 month over too. Cute as a button. Bryson's starting to try to speak too. Everytime he looks at me, he smiles. Now if I could only find a way to pass such charm onto fetching young women... Aght! Back to brewage...

Have a great weekend, Scott. Glad to hear your wife's feeling better.

- E.C. Henry from Bonney Lake, WA

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well wishes to the wife, Scott.

Wanted is awesome. If you analyze it or apply logic, you'll be disappointed. But the story is good enough for the "experience" the film delivers.

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanted was a lot of fun. Huge thrill ride. Well worth seeing.

And who doesn't want to see anything Pixar does?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home