ALLIGATORS IN A HELICOPTER

a pro script reader ponders movies, reading, writing and the occasional personal flashback

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Some Weeks, I Just Have Nothing To Write

I seem to be getting to the point of a blogger's life where the well is running a little dry.

In the past, I fell back on posts on reading: amusing typos, complaints about common errors, advice for writers. But the mental file cabinet is empty now.

I haven't seen a movie in a theater in ages, so I can't weigh in on whether 300 looks too fake or too perfect or if it is too bloody or just bloody enough.

I've been busy with work, so I haven't written a word in my script in about 10 days, but I certainly don't want to blog about that. Much.

The new Nicholl Fellowship applications are out, so I guess I could blog about what a great experience being a semifinalist was last year. Except it wasn't such a great experience. People requested my script, people were sent my script, people didn't care.

So other than the minimal respect garnered from being able to say I was a Nicholl semi-finalist (hey, anything helps) there wasn't much there.

Not that you shouldn't enter. Go for it.

I've been planning to blog on the new scripts by Charlie Kaufman and Noah Baumbach, two of my favorite writers, but I haven't read them yet. I have them, but they are sitting under a pile of something. Somewhere. Someday I'll read them, when I feel like picking up another script at the end of a long day.

If there's a post about one of them tomorrow, you'll know I did.

I've been watching some decent TV DVDs for my reviewing-crap-in-exchange-for-DVDs job, which is basically geared toward filling the late-night hours when I don't feel like reading or writing; it feels more productive than watching the stuff actually on TV at midnight. So I watched the first season of a British cold case TV series called "Waking the Dead", which is very good, and I watched the first season of a Fox sitcom called "The Loop", which was surprisingly funny in an amiably-juvenile way.

I suppose I could write about taking Sunday off and driving up the coast with the wife; we hung out at the Santa Barbara marina for a while, and watched the little crabs scuttle around. Some day we'll break into Oprah's place, but we haven't figured out where it is yet.

So I don't really have much to write about. Maybe tomorrow.

5 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger Lucy V said...

Waking The Dead is great, love it. I went to a course this weekend just past with one of the guys who's going to be writing for it, Adrian Mead.

BTW, you checked the new Blogger version of WRITE HERE, WRITE NOW?

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, going to re-enter last year's entry? I figure I might as well and kill two birds with one stone. After sitting on my hands deciding what to do next with my writing (I'm still drawing), I got an email from the guys that contacted me, making sure I was still alive. So I told them I was going to do a rewrite of my script (on my own terms) and they said fine, they'd love to see it, and love to see the horror script I briefly mentioned. They said they were "fans" of my work, and they'd wait for it.

Genuine or not, it gave me the smallest boot.

Though, traditionally, re-enters don't do as well the second time around, do they (with rare exceptions)? Oh well. It gets me writing at least. I entered where you are now back in January. Took me this long to get going again. Hope the wait is shorter for you.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Chesher Cat said...

Tht was a lot of writing for a guy with nothing to write.

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

How about blogging about how well 300 is doing in Imax and if that is going to be the future of movies. Home theaters seem to be competing with normal theaters more and more, but I think its going to be a while before people can fit 3 story screens into their home!

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the new Baumbach, you mean Margot At The Wedding? (yawns)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home